Thread: Floating Parks Rivers for Trout

Talking Floating Parks Rivers for Trout

Looking to float rivers off of the Parks this Spring/Summer for Trout. I have an 18' AIRE Cat. Road-road launch and pick up is essential. Will my raft make it through any of these rivers? Thanks

good luck with the aire your only possibility with a boat that big is to pay to put in at the park bridge of willow and take out at the "drift boat takeout" (never seen it only heard about it) right after the confluence with the susitna or deshka landing. It will be very tight but doable I suppose.

The only other parks highway stream that is floatable in a boat of that size in the little su.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I've rented a cat from the Willow Creek Resort one fall, it was in the 16-18' range and it was fine. The one thing to keep in mind is the closures during King season, weekend only for a while.

But the take out at the camp ground is at the 3rd confluence. The thing to remember is take the left channels. The one problem with the 3rd channel is the lack of water. You will probably have to drag the boat to the takeout. The takeout also has a couple of rocks blocking the launch so people don't back in the water, so you will have to carry the boat out. I would suggest driving down to the campground before you float it just to become familar.

Watch out for the sweepers! There are also a couple tight sections that take a little planning to get thru, so experience is very helpful.

Default Willow

Willow is a possability. 18 footer will be tight. I would suggest pulling out at the confluence of the Willow and the Su. You can arrange a shuttle with the folks that run the campground on the Fairbanks side of the Willow. Ask them how to identify the "first lagoon" pull out. It has been a few years since I have done it. Plan on walking your boat for a bit to get to the pullout.

The state recreation area pullout involves a walk and carry, so if you need to back your trailer in I think theres another one down a bit, but don't trust me on that I've never actually seen it.

You can go down to the Deshka launch. I have never done it, so I can't give you any advice there.
    Last edited by cmo1977; 04-07-2008 at 12:26. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    good luck with the aire your only possibility with a boat that big is to pay to put in at the park bridge of willow and take out at the "drift boat takeout" (never seen it only heard about it) right after the confluence with the susitna or deshka landing. It will be very tight but doable I suppose.

The only other parks highway stream that is floatable in a boat of that size in the little su.
    ...not so my friend...

I float probably one of the heaviest 18 footers out there, it is a 10 foot aluminum frame with full diamond plate floor and full diamond plate walkways (10' long/14" wide) on top of the tubes, and the tubes are only 24 inchers, it's a stinking battleship, oh yeah I run with 10 foot oars, so from oar tip to oar tip I'm about 21 to 22 feet wide........

I've been floating that boat since summer of 2000 and have been on nearly every piece of water this side of Cantwell without issue...I am positive that I've had the boat places that few others have bothered to float...(break boat down and haul in via ATV)...very little dragging involved, only on the lowest of water or on a small feeder stream...

...even if there is some dragging, those boats are easy to rig where 2 guys can stand in the frame and carry the boat just like wearing a back pak, 2 guys can carry mine that way and the frame and tubes weigh over 350 pounds, I'm sure your tubes are in the 80 to 90 pound range...add in your frame and it will probably be a piece of cake to portage your boat over any obstacles, ie the log jam on the upper willow...

...Cody, if you want a few pics to compare to your boat let me know, I think you'll be surprized at the places you can take an 18 footer...

...so to answer your question: Yes, you'll be just fine on any of the parks highway streams....
    Last edited by tjm; 04-07-2008 at 22:29. Reason: .......
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default Thank you

Lots off good advice thanks for the help! Should be a fun spring/summer

I have a 16' cat and have floated the Willow from Shirley Town road down (pack light and be prepared for some quick maneuvering and portaging over some brutal log jams). If you are looking for a multi-day (3-4 day) float, check out the Chulitna. Put in off the Parks at the East Fork Bridge. The East Fork is clear and has great trout fishing. Once you get into the Chulitna proper it becomes a huge, glacial river, and you need to have GPS coordinates (or luck) to find the clear streams that dump into it. Incredible float with awesome views of Denali.

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post
    ...not so my friend...

I float probably one of the heaviest 18 footers out there, it is a 10 foot aluminum frame with full diamond plate floor and full diamond plate walkways (10' long/14" wide) on top of the tubes, and the tubes are only 24 inchers, it's a stinking battleship, oh yeah I run with 10 foot oars, so from oar tip to oar tip I'm about 21 to 22 feet wide........

I've been floating that boat since summer of 2000 and have been on nearly every piece of water this side of Cantwell without issue...I am positive that I've had the boat places that few others have bothered to float...(break boat down and haul in via ATV)...very little dragging involved, only on the lowest of water or on a small feeder stream...

...even if there is some dragging, those boats are easy to rig where 2 guys can stand in the frame and carry the boat just like wearing a back pak, 2 guys can carry mine that way and the frame and tubes weigh over 350 pounds, I'm sure your tubes are in the 80 to 90 pound range...add in your frame and it will probably be a piece of cake to portage your boat over any obstacles, ie the log jam on the upper willow...

...Cody, if you want a few pics to compare to your boat let me know, I think you'll be surprized at the places you can take an 18 footer...

...so to answer your question: Yes, you'll be just fine on any of the parks highway streams....
    Good on you, maybe I'm a wuss but I like to not have to take my boat apart to portage

plus if you read the original post it says he needs to drop the boat via trailer... The only one I know of with boat launches is willow (chulitna might have some)... Was it really worth it floating most of those streams? Seems like they'd be a lot of dragging

Good on you, maybe I'm a wuss
    oh AKPM, you just can't stand not getting the last word...lol...so I'll say my peace and let you have it...

plus if you read the original post it says he needs to drop the boat via trailer... The only one I know of with boat launches is willow (chulitna might have some)...
    ...he didn't mention a trailer in the first post...only need to be able to drive to it...

but I like to not have to take my boat apart to portage
    ...I don't take the boat apart to portage it...in the rare event I do portage, you just throw a couple of pre-rigged straps on your shoulders and start walking...

Was it really worth it floating most of those streams? Seems like they'd be a lot of dragging
    ...was it really worth floating the streams?...you bet, that's why I floated them over and over, sometimes alone with my useless 18' footer...

Bottom line is I'm just trying to help a guy out to have a good time with his family and friends...Cody77 is up here serving his country and for that I thank him dearly....It sucks to see a guy (especially military) who is new to AK struggle to find info to get out and enjoy AK...we should be helping these guys maximize their weekends for all they do during the week...and just sticking to the lower Willow is hardly maximizing the possibilities of an 18' cat...
    Last edited by Daveinthebush; 04-09-2008 at 22:30. Reason: Corrected name
    pull my finger....

Default Floating the upper Willow

Not taking any sides on this post. Just posting my opinion. Cody77 was asking an opinion on whether his 18ft. Aire would make it through most of the floatable streams up north. I would suggest floating with someone first, that has had previous experience on the streams you plan on floating. There are some nasty log jams on the upper Willow and Montana, to name a few creeks. There is no way I would feel comfortable sending someone to float these sections ( especially if they have never floated it before). A couple of years ago, I rescued a floater at the powerline log jam, who thought he could make it through, instead of portaging. It was a very scary and humbling experience for him. It also made me more safety concious. One last thing, portaging these logs jams are not always having to go around them, sometimes it requires going over the top of them. Not something I would want to do with some inexperienced floaters/children.

I don't have a trailer, can't afford one, so I load all the stuff in the back of my F-150 and tie it all down with ratchet straps. I appreciate all the information that has been given, I've received PMs and an overwhelming response, more than expected. I don't mind doing a lot of work to get my cat through some lower water streams if the fishing is worth it.

I have never floated any of the parks rivers but I can deadlift 500lbs, bench 400 and would love to help you carry that **** boat around!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigtroutak View Post
    I have never floated any of the parks rivers but I can deadlift 500lbs, bench 400 and would love to help you carry that **** boat around!!!!!!
    I need to bring you along with me when I take the motor boat out...I've been high and dry a few times lately and you wouldda' come in quite handy....lol...
    pull my finger....