Thread: barrel "prophylactic"

Default barrel "prophylactic"

I picked up some of the muzzle loading "rain guards" they are little black condom looking things that you roll down over the buisness end of your....err.... gun to keep bad stuff from getting back up it... I am pretty nervous about actually firing a high powered rifle with one on the muzzle. I am planning on using it to keep snow out while carrying it on my snowmachine. I am planning to pull it off befor the final stalk but It would be nice to be confident I could shoot through it if a sudden shot presented itself. Any thought? I am shooting a .325 WSM A-bolt with factory 200 grn accubonds
    Thanks

I have not used those particular brand of ...er.. barrel protectors but have used various kinds of tape. (Do not use duct tape.) The type that I've used came with my first Steyr scout rifle. They are thick soft plastic condoms about 2" long. I still have a few of them. They work fine and you can shoot through them. When shooting through these little love caps there will be a dramatic increase in the noise...other than that..no problems with that. Duct tape is a lot tougher than electrical tape and makes things very loud. No point of impact change from shooting through any of them that I could ever determine.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

A trick I used to make my troops use back when I was a weapon muck-ity-muck for Uncle Sam.

Cut the fingers off cheap latex (or Nitrel) gloves and use the fingers as muzzle covers. We had issue black nitrel gloves for doing pat down searches. The different size fingers will work for various barrel sizes. And it is dirt cheap. It blows off before the bullet gets to it.

You can buy a box a blue colored gloves for $8. That is lots of fingers....it should last for years. Plus use the gloves (uncut) for cleaning after shooting...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It is a lot cheaper to just stretch a piece of black electrican tape across the muzzle. There is no need to pull it off the barrel prior to firing. It does not affect the accuracy or the pressure. Been doing it on all my rifles I hunt with for over 30 years.
    Tennessee

I figured it would not be a problem but I would rather ask here than be a story you all read in the paper! "Idiot in critical condition after surgeons remove rifle bolt from eye socket"

I've used the exact black "condoms" you are talking about. I bought a box of them back in the early 90's and still have plenty left. You can shoot through them without any issues what-so-ever. They are just thin latex and will disappear real quick. I've shot through them at the range many times to verify no change in pattern with high power rifle... or even a .22LR. So don't worry about that part at all.

Important point, do not leave them in place overnight. I would only leave it on the muzzle while you're actually moving through terrain or exposed to the weather that you're wanting protection from. Once you get back to camp or stop at your stand, roll it back up and off the muzzle. They are tough enough to roll up and reuse many times (as long as you haven't shot through it). If you leave it in place, it will trap moisture and you'll get surface rust under the latex rather quickly.

Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

does it make any difference if they are over a muzzle brake? I dont figure it would, but am asking just incase.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Black electrical tape works pretty good for me and yup its cheap. Having some extra wrapped around the barrel for extra is easy too. Tried latex, balloons an others I cant think of right now, but get into the brush and they tear fairly easy.

They are called "barrel cots" and "Cheaper Than Dirt" has them (made by Birchwood/Casey) 40 of them for $8.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Do an internet search for "barrel cot" and you'll find them (and find them a lot cheaper than cheaper than dirt).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

Default Hole Protection

My step-father said during amphibious invasions in WW2 his unit would place condoms over their rifle muzzles to keep sea water out until the hit the beach. They also used them in the jungle to keep water from accummulating in the barrels during rain storms.
    You can buy a box of "finger cots" at the drug store which will work as well as what you are inquireing about. No shipping, and cheaper.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Yup. Electrical tape...as long as it's not blue.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Real Laskans use Lectrical tape over the end of the barrel for ALL hunting. I've shot through tape lotsa times. I can't say that I've noticed any diff in noise or any problem, except it does make a hole in the tape.

And like someone done said, you keep some extra strips wrapped around the barrel, or stuck on the stock so you can easily replace it.

Those little rain guard thingys you describe are good for Muzzle Loaders, and are sold for Muzzle Loader use, BECAUSE, you can tear a hole in'em for the front sight. Howsomever, it is not nearly as durable as Lectrical Tape.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The ones I have are for center fire rifles and are packaged & sold as such. Got them at the Payless drug store in Soldotna (which is no longer in business). Never saw any large enough for muzzle loaders, but I'm sure they're out there.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

got some "Lectrical" tape incase the rubber doesn't work. Thanks for the info

Big Stick

3M tape can't be beat..............