Thread: North Fork Koyukuk

Default North Fork Koyukuk

Hello to all

My name is Stefan, I am living in Switzerland and I dream every day to go back to your beatiful country and explore new rivers. I visited Alaska 2 times, and it will be my third time this July. I planned to paddle the Beaver Creek with a friend of mine again, until I read the book "Alaska wilderness" of Robert Marshall. Now I really try to reschedule our trip to follow the traces of Robert Marshall on the NF Koyukuk from Bombardment Creek to Bettles with an Ally. Because planning a trip in Alaska from Switzerland is a little bit difficult, I hope someone in this forum can help me. I have several questions;

- is it possible to land on a gravel bar at Bombardment Creek or Ernie Creek?
    - If yes, can you suggest a pilot?
    - Better start to from Wiseman/Coldfoot or Bettles?
    - Are 12 days for travelling worth the money?

I really hope, someone can help me. I am very sorry about my english, I hope you can understand what I mean.

Best regards,

Stefan

Sorry it took so long to get back to you.

I would recommend Coyote Air http://www.flycoyote.com/ Brooks Range http://www.brooksrange.com/ or Wrights http://www.wrightair.net/

The pilot who probably does the most drop offs in that area is Dirk with Coyote Air. He's also located in Coldfoot which is the closest to your destination. Jay with Brooks Range is a good choice also. Brooks Range operates out of Bettles, which is also close to your destination, and is your pickup point. Coyote runs a couple Beavers, a C185 and a Cub, all on wheels. Brooks Range operates a Helio on Wheels, along with a couple Beavers and a Single Otter on Floats.

I don't know much about what's available for a landing area in the spots you mentioned, but if you get ahold of one of the operators I mentioned, they would probably know something.

As far as getting to Coldfoot or Bettles. Several carriers fly to those destinations, and Coldfoot is also accessible by road.

I'd recommend Wrights for at least getting to Coldfoot or Bettles if you wish to fly from Fairbanks. Their schedule is on the link to Wrights.

Hope this helps and hope you make it up here this summer....Louis

Louis

Thank you very much for information. I just contacted Dirk and it seems, that a flight from Coldfoot will be a very good option. I just wish, we had more time for vacation! Jettmaer desribed the river as class 1-2 from Ernie creek. Is this correct, I've got other comments that it could be more difficult in the upper part?

Best regards,

Stefan

That's some of the most beautiful country in the state as far as I'm concerned. I spent a little time up the North Fork before it became a park.

You will really enjoy it. I think 12 days will be plenty if you are going to float it. I don't know about landing up there, I'm sure the pilots know where they can put you in.
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

Quote Originally Posted by martyv View Post
    That's some of the most beautiful country in the state as far as I'm concerned.
    I'd have to agree with you on this Even though I've never seen it in summertime except from a small plane. From the mid 70s to the mid 80s a partner and I ran a trapline from the headwaters of North Fork down to the Tinayguk. A lot of old memories going over the Pass and dropping down into the North Fork. Took my first Grizzly and first wolf there. I also spent one of my 9 lives there when I broke thru the river ice at minus 40.