Thread: Old Rifle, Old Scope, still kicks butt

Default Old Rifle, Old Scope, still kicks butt

Back around 1973 I decided to customize my old DWN made M-98 Mauser with a Douglas #5 taper barrel (1 in 10) and a Fajen stock blank that took me a year to carve out every night after high scholl and work. Since I over sanded the barrel channel, it looked funny . SO,,, I glass bedded the entire barrel called her good.
    I bought a 2x7 power weaver scope through the hardware store and screwed that baby down. It was my first sucessful gunsmithing project.

This rifel have now had 35 years of hard knocks, has been all over the USA when I was on active duty. Plus it has been all over Alaska and taken every critter here except Buffalo.

But she was getting a little inaccuarte over the last 10 years or so.

I just went on a two day cleaning binge with JB bore compound and a bunch of copper solvent. Oh, and lots of patches, brushes and elbow grease.

The old girl still had a few good shots left in her,,,after trying about 10 different hand-loads that she used to like....And this was with the very hazy 35 year old Weaver scope.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I think the Norma bullets above made the little square group because I was getting up to write down the chronograph reading and thus changing positions.

The scope mount is kinda rusted in place.

Is this one of your 25 yard groups? It is amazing what life comes back with a clean bore. Nice groups by the way.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

100 yards from sand bags.

I am alos loading my rounds at a longer COL since the throat has considerable wear after many thousands of rounds.

At one time many years ago it would fire 175 grain Sierra boat tail like this as well. But for some reason she won't do it now. No matter what I tried they will only do a 2 inch group. Must be something about how much bite the lands get in the slug.

Why, that looks like a meat gun to me!

I see you have the brush catching forearm model, I gave up on that style and went to the round type. Like the big wide slings that slid off my shoulder, I found it was easier to get through the brush with the round knob style.

The thumb hold stocks I love, keeps the recoil down and sure helps to control muzzle flip. I have rifles I would not want to shoot with out the straight line recoil offered by the thumb hole stock.

Stick the muzzle in a vice and tighten up the twist, you probably shot it so much the twist came loose? (this was added on the edit, no smilley faces to add to that gem)!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Looks like she still has plenty of life left in her!

7x57?

Beer:307x57?

Yes, the 7 x 57mm Mauser. Also known as the 7mm Mauser, 7mm Boer, 275 Rigby or 7mm Spanish Mauser.