Thread: anchorage to beluga

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default anchorage to beluga

anyone ever run there boat from anchorage to beluga lake? im well aware of the hazards of the inlet and been to little su and big su quite a few times. never been to the beluga though. would be intrested in hearing anyones stories of running up to the lake. fishing any good? i hear the silvers are hot over there.

wow noone has run the beluga from this site? not even from deshka? ill have to let you all know if i make it over there.

Default Was planning on giving it a try this summer.

I have been looking at it since last spring. Both days I was going to check it out last year the weather was not agreeable. This would be a good trip to make with two boats for sure. If you are interested in trying it sometime shoot me a PM. Sounds like class III rapids from the lake to about half way to the inlet. I have the same boat as you by the way.

Curt

Default A friend has run over that way and up the little sue and out the

little sue to Anchorage. And fro Potters to the Kenia are push poled across the flats.
    I haven't yet. But it gets done. maybe the folks that do that are to busy to post:-)

Default First King

I have flown to Beluga Lake by air and fished a stream just below the lake on the north side. Caught my first Alaska King there many years ago. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

May I first suggest you fly the route first.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

I am thinking the guys that take boats across the inlet are trying to keep the fishing and hunting a bit low key and that is why we are not hearing more positive responses.

Default Mmmmmm

Quote Originally Posted by broncoformudv View Post
    I am thinking the guys that take boats across the inlet are trying to keep the fishing and hunting a bit low key and that is why we are not hearing more positive responses.
    Say it ain't so!!

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Default The Only

bad thing is putting up with the discrimination from the folks at Tyonik (sp?). But I think Beluga is a ways away from that miserable little community.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

Mark

I've never seen the Beluga River in summer, but I've seen it at the bridge in winter.

I suspect it might be difficult to run it all the way up to the lake. I think your suggestion to fly it first is very sound.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    ......bad thing is putting up with the discrimination from the folks at Tyonik (sp?). But I think Beluga is a ways away from that miserable little community.
    The entire area around Beluga Lake and Little Beluga Lake is CIRI land (not Tyonek Village lands), and most of the length of the Beluga River is also CIRI land.

Default Any Friendlier?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark View Post
    I've never seen the Beluga River in summer, but I've seen it at the bridge in winter.

I suspect it might be difficult to run it all the way up to the lake. I think your suggestion to fly it first is very sound.

The entire area around Beluga Lake and Little Beluga Lake is CIRI land (not Tyonek Village lands), and most of the length of the Beluga River is also CIRI land.
    Is CIRI friendlier towards non-natives? The reason I bring this up is not in a discriminatory tone from me as I respect private land. I just had a bad run in at Tyonek and felt I was discriminated against becuase I am non-native.

I have found in most cases if you ask before you trasspass, access is granted, except in Tyonek.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    MMSI# 338131469

If you can navigate the Beluga River, then you are able to boat it as per law.

Matt

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Is CIRI friendlier towards non-natives? The reason I bring this up is not in a discriminatory tone from me as I respect private land. I just had a bad run in at Tyonek and felt I was discriminated against becuase I am non-native.....
    I think so. CIRI has a land use policy that allows permitting for some activities.

My understanding of Tyonek village lands is that they don't allow any none village uses, and many folks who live in the Beluga area say that it's best to stay north of the Chuit River bridge.

....I have found in most cases if you ask before you trasspass, access is granted, except in Tyonek.
    Tyonek isn't the only place like that, but that is certainly the impression I've gotten.

[quote=AKBassking;245678]Is CIRI friendlier towards non-natives? The reason I bring this up is not in a discriminatory tone from me as I respect private land. I just had a bad run in at Tyonek and felt I was discriminated against becuase I am non-native.

dont neccesarrily have to be non native to not fit in either. i had a hard time getting along with peple in hoonah quite a few years back. although i dont necessarily look it i am part native but that didnt matter in hoonah i was from a different tribe .

class three rapids eh? yes that would be a good idea to go with another boat. coming down in class three rapids with a loaded boat dosent sound like it would be all that fun. ill keep you in mind coach curt if i happen to get a desire to go and take a looksy. bunch of guys from riverjet were talking about a group run either to the beluga or down the copper or up the big su, maybe ill log on and ask what they did last year.

Default Be very afraid, then go for it

Yes, we west siders are a busy bunch. I have been running on the Beluga for over 20 years.
    The rapids in the canyon WILL kick your arse. I have flown it countless times looking at the canyon. I have still sunk 2 boats on the Beluga. The locals think I am out of my mind for trying, but it is a challenge for me now. It has been done, but I have also found boats wrapped around the rocks at the bottom of the canyon. Try swimming in that cauldron and you will be as scared as you ever have been. You get sucked right to the bottom. Then you get drug along the bottom. I have witnesses.
    Part of the problem is the river is very shallow at numerous locations. Bigger boats can't get up to the canyon. Then it gets very fast in the canyon. From the air it looks ok. From the helm it is a set of rollers that top 8' and you better have a lot of power and a huge set of balls.
    Then there are lines of rock that project out into the river, forcing you into the wicked stuff.
    The best I ever did was get to the top of the last rapid, the bow was over smooth water. Then the current slewed me sideways into the maelstrom and away we went. I was lucky to make it to calm water, and that's where the dog jumped off and headed for shore. He did not want to get back into the boat. I am running a 90 horse on a stripped down 16' riverrunner, fantastic power to weight ratio. Not good enough.
    It can be done. If the river is high enough to get over the shallows it will be roaring in the canyon. There is a window though, I will find it one of these days.
    Give her a shot, you'll have some good stories to tell, if you get back home alive. Not joking.
    It is one of those things that you pull up to the first bad rapid and look at it. Half the time you spin her around and go home cause you don't feel lucky that day.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Guys with some experience will realize that the trip down river through the canyon is as fun as the run up, only faster! Keep those big brass ones handy, you'll need 'em.
    Oh, and your boat will get some dents, guaranteed.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

It sounds like fun for a 12 cat....I would do it!