Thread: 500 Smith and Wesson 4"

Default 500 Smith and Wesson 4"

Hi there all,

Is there anyone out there that can give me some re-loading data for the 500 Smith and Wesson 'SPECIAL'. I have numerious brass cases for these , and would like to reload them. ( The 'SPECIAL' round is shorter that the 500 S&W Magnum round)

Regards,

Michaeljames 1943

Quote Originally Posted by michaeljames1943 View Post
    Hi there all,

Is there anyone out there that can give me some re-loading data for the 500 Smith and Wesson 'SPECIAL'. I have numerious brass cases for these , and would like to reload them. ( The 'SPECIAL' round is shorter that the 500 S&W Magnum round)

Regards,

Michaeljames 1943

You actually have 500 S&W special brass?! What powder do you have? Or are you open to which powder to buy for it. What are you looking for? Plinking loads, moderate loads, low recoil loads or 500 special maximum loads?
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Three other observations on the .500 Special.

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    You actually have 500 S&W special brass?! What powder do you have? Or are you open to which powder to buy for it. What are you looking for? Plinking loads, moderate loads, low recoil loads or 500 special maximum loads?
    Three things I have noted with respect to .500 S&W fired in the 500 S&W Magnum.

The cartridge apparantly lacks the pressure to seal the case against the chamber walls at the moment of firing to prevent backward travel of gases toward the rear of the chamber. As a result, products of combustion got between the cartridge wall and the chamber wall and made extraction difficult.

IMR states that they have no load data for any of their powders for any bullet for the 500 Special. So any powder data would be acceptable.

When loading bullets into the (shorter) 500 special cases, the base of the bullet expands the case, making a bulge that prevents chambering the round. Apparantly, the case wall is thicker near the base of the cartridge.

So, aside from load data that would enable sealing of the chamber against blowback, I would seek advice on choice of bullets to fit the case as well.

Lost Sheep (Larry)

Default Smith and Wesson 500 'Special' Cartridge cases

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Yes I have a few 500 cartridge cases. they were originallt COR BON S&W
    Special rounds. Rather than not reload them i was hoping to reload them. I would be looking to reload them for 'plinking' rounds of low recoil to fire at the local range at the firing range. Any load details together with which weight of bullet for 'plinking rounds ????

michaeljames1843