Thread: Norma Bullets

Default Norma Bullets

Does anyone have any experience with Norma Oryx and Vulcan bullets? I am interested in hearing how they do/did in terms of accuracy and performance on game. Thanks.

Default Norma bullets:

I have never used them however I know of a guide/t.v. hunting host that uses them exculsively. CONTACT Jason Peterson @ Hunting Canada and Beyond

Default Accubond

Does anyone have expereince with Nosler Accubond bullets on large bears? Thanks in advance

Thumbs up Norma PP

Used the Norma Soft Point and Plastic Point very good performance in thge 308 and 30-06.

I have used the Norma Vulcan and Oryx bullets on game and have shot a lot of both on targets. The Vulcan is a rather unique bullet wiht the tip of the jacket folded in and it has no lead exposed. This makes a tiny flat nose or meplat and it serves very well to prevent nose damage in the magazine from recoil. This Vulcan bullet was used in the Norma loaded ammo and called the PPC for "Protected Power Cavity", catchy name but it didn't catch on. These are the most effective non premium bullet I've ever used. They look like a bonded bullet on recovery but they do expand quite well. I used to be the sole US distributor for Norma products but was unable to move enough product to stay with it. I still have many of these bullets and their loaded ammo. Accuracy with these bullets is very good. I've used them in 6.5x55, 7x64, 30-06, 308 Norma mag and 9.3x62. All were top notch on game.

The Oryx bullet is a relatively new, bonded bullet that has a small flat nose also but not a folded jacket. I've used them in the 30 caliber and 338 on game and have shot all calibers on paper. I have a target with a .8" group of five shots at 200 yards from an old Sako 338. These are one of the most accurate bonded bullets around rivalling the Accubond on paper. They show typical bonded performance on game with full expansion at impact velocity of about 2200 fps. They will easily expand to double diameter and typically retain 95 to 98% of original weight.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Quote Originally Posted by ldv444 View Post
    Does anyone have any experience with Norma Oryx and Vulcan bullets? I am interested in hearing how they do/did in terms of accuracy and performance on game. Thanks.
    I've used the 30 caliber 180 Oryx quite a bit in several of my 30-06s and the 156 in one of my 7x57s. 56.0 of IMR 4350 with the 180 has been an accurate load in 30-06, usually running right at one inch at 100 yards. I've killed moose, mountain goat and deer with this bullet, all one shot kills. I've only recovered an Oryx from a moose. The jacket and core held together and the bullet retained about 85% of it's original weight. In 7x57 my load with the 156 has been about 47.0 of IMR 4350, again running right at an inch at 100. I killed a sheep with this combo, but the bullet passed through so no recovery. In short, I'm very pleased with the Norma Oryx.

Default Oryx Bullets

I've loaded the 7mm 156 grain Oryx bullets in my 280 Rem and 7mag. I didn't get great accuracy in the 280, but they looked quite promising in my 7mag. I only taken one whitetail doe with the Oryx in my 280 and it was a pass through so I really can't comment on their performance. What I liked about the Oryx is that they are bonded but don't stick out of the case as far as a plastic pointed bullet, such as a Nosler AB. I can load them within a few thousands of the rifling and still fit the rounds in the clip. They remind me of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets, but cost about half as much.

Woody

Quote Originally Posted by Wa Woody View Post
    They remind me of the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw bullets, but cost about half as much.
    Price of the Oryx bullets is good. Last time I bought them, I got good supply for about $46/100.