Thread: Upper Kenai

Question Upper Kenai

Floating the Upper Kenai -- Start at Cooper Landing... how far can you go before you start to hit some 'rapids?'
    I've heard there's some pretty ugly stuff in a canyon; not real sure where the canyon is...

I'm floating in a pontoon style float boat.

Thanks in advanced!

Default upper Kenai

Leaving from the cooper landing bridge Where Kenai lake ends and the river begins is one of the starting points. No Rapids of any concern to an intermediate paddler until you get to the Princess chute. It is an easy class 2, then on to Shooners bend.. this is located just past the Sterling Hwy bridge crossing near resurection pass trail. The shooners bend is just below the bridge where the river makes a hard right. If you stay to the inside turn, you can avoid the big roller rocks and paddle easily in Class one water. Then easy water to Jims landing... that is the last road take out spot, and is located on the Skilak road. Just a hundred feet off the sterling hwy. This is the best takeout unless you want to go down the canyon and end up in Skilak lake. The rapids in the canyon are class 3 or so, depending on the amount of water moving, but are straight forward and easy in inflatable rafts and drift boats, but have caused problems for canoes, especially if you don't have good white water sklls.
    the paddle from Skilak to the upper boat launch is over 5 miles away,and accross the lake. the lake is very large, and has tendency to kick up at times. White cap waves, and often pretty big rollers make the lake a treacherous and long trip if the weather is not perfect. very dangerous lake to cross due to the sudden winds and cold glacial conditions of the water.
    Unless you are prepared to go the lake route, take out at Jims landing.
    In May 3rd we are having a rafting get together going down the canyon and spending the night at skilak. the trip can be found in the rafting section of the forum. come join us if you can
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Smile Thanks!

Thanks for the info... might prove useful. I might drop in on the armada of yachts, ships, barges, and boats floating down the Kenai May 3rd. I'll be a single... just tagging along - maybe pick up some good info.

Thanks again!