Thread: Who makes the best 40-50 HP motor?

Default Who makes the best 40-50 HP motor?

Who has had good luck with their motor, and who has had a motor that they wish could get rid of it? I'm going to buy a new motor this summer, and I would like to know which ones to stay away from. Thanks!

I think you should learn how to spell kenai....and buy a honda 50. I love mine....

Default I've got a merc 50

I've got a 1992 merc 50 2 stroke that I'd love to get rid of, runs like a raped ape, its even got new lower gears.

It came off a boat I just bought that was on the Kenai, I needed more power to get out in the salt out of Whittier though.

Default Yamaha or Honda

Both are good engines with people around to service both. Honda's are much quieter. Ron's Honda has a special on right now I think.

Here is some 50 hp motor info that I collected when researching which motor to buy earlier this year.

http://http://www.kenaicastandblast....ors/index.html

Scroll to the bottom of the page

Good Luck!

Default Honda 50 hands down

Just a great quiet motor... Had one for a few years before I bought the jet boat. Nothing ever broke, my wife loved the quiet, yea, and then the jet boat.

Default Honda

another one for Honda 50
    we got the four stroke. peaople we bought it from used with prop in tananna river which is very silty in summer.
    we bought it for...... okay don't laugh now.......a kicker for dads 24 foot bayliner
    and gues what, we used it on the bout more than once to get us back to port.
    we usaly go out to 100 miles one way than break down and use the honda for about 10 hrs strait with no cooling to get back

absoulutly the best moter we have ever used.
    the new ones are all pretty good and if you go with a four stroke you will never be sorry no matter brand name

Default Just Say NO

to hondas. Get a yamaha T50 and be done. If you do your research and talk to the techs you will learn why it is the best. I am sold because I own two of them on my boat and researched back then, 4 years ago. Also to boot, my motors have never seen a service tech or shop. Came to me in the crates, I installed them, just change the oil and lower unit gear lube and no problems in 502 hours. Honda need tuned right of the crate!

Default Honda

Honda BF90 and BF30 outboards, Honda Rancher, Honda snowblower, Honda pressure washer, Honda gold dredge and if the made it..... a Honda wife.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Actually, the yammis are having a hard time with corrosion on the carbs - for real. It is especially prevalent with the ones that don't get used very much. Where did this info come from? The very techs you are talking about.
    I'm sure the Honda has some downfall too, but I'm still waiting to see what that is after several hundred hours.

Default More of my 2 cents worth

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I'm sure the Honda has some downfall too, but I'm still waiting to see what that is after several hundred hours.
    Yes I am sure every motor has their downfalls, Personally I have not seen it on a 4 stroke yamaha T50. My engines each have 4 carbs, look nice and shiney=called maintenance. At the time,2004, Yamaha's motors had the belts on top of the block, hondas were on the bottom. The T50's have the lower unit of the 75. So it pushes 15 pitch prop by 13 5/8", not sure what hondas are, but I know yamahas are bigger. Just little things won me over.

Then seeing it with my own eyes at the docks. Seen twin honda 50's on a boat, looked new, and the motors were not peeing. They were about to leave and I told them about it, they were not happy and shut em down to track it down. Plus hearing the honda techs saying every honda needs tweaked out of the crate. Mine have not seen a shop yet, called to get a scheduled apointment and they told me NO. Unless visible wear and tear don't worry about and it is not necessary. All I can say is do your home work and you will get the motor you think is right. I am basing all my info from 2004 and 2005.

Default Would someone please show me?

Where are all of the junk heaps full of Honda engines???

Most every Honda that I've seen or owned has been a performer...with that said I went with a Tohatsu 50hp TLDI. I was interested in the weight issue and the Tohatsu engines are pretty lightweight. As well they were the company to receive acclaim in 2001 for pioneering their direct injection 2 stroke technology--on the 50hp outboard, in fact.

In the end we are each going to make a compromise in one aspect or another. I think that its just a case of "pick your own poison" as they are all going to have warts. Even so, not skimping on maintenance is a big deal when you're out on the water. I kind of liken this to the checklist and annual maintenance that is required of airplanes--you can't just row back to the ground with those things...they've got to be right every time! Its a good philosophy to carry over into boating. And Yammi's or Hondas will carry you a long ways with regular attention.

I'll let you know how the Tohatsu fares this summer.

IceKing02

Smile maintenance

I agree with you, maintenance is the key. My dad has 1976 Evinrude that has seen fresh water 3 times. Other wise it has been a salt water boat. It only has broke down on him twice. 1st was a bushing on the shaft(Ugly, we were half way to China long troll back. 2nd was the brain box 20 minutes from the launch. We flushed it out every time we got home before anything else, and kept up on the maintenance.

Sounds like either a Honda or a Yammi. Thanks everybody for your 2 cents.