Thread: new to Alaska fishing

Smile new to Alaska fishing

I'll be visiting Alaska June 7-18, staying couple days in Anchorage, 4 days in Cantwell near Denali, a day in Seward, and 4 days in Homer. Wanted to get into some salmon and trout with the family, so would appreciate any recommendations on specific places, tackle, techniques etc. for roadside or easy hike-in angling. We're catch and release folks, respect the resources wherever we go. Was planning on bringing spinning tackle from 4 - 17 lb class, and a couple fly rods 6 and 8 wt.

Am also doing a 1 day charter in Homer for salmon/halibut also.....

Any suggestions welcome

thanks
    Keith
    Wilmington, DE

Keith - Two suggestions for you:

1 - Come here daily and read, read, and read some more. Folks will be posting info about fishing more and more as spring turns towards summer, and you'll get more information than you could imagine by just being a regular part of the forums.

2 - Buy The Alaska Highway Angler by Gunnar Pedersen. It contains info on many of the streams that you'll be passing, what type of fish to expect, and what to use. Well worth the minimal cost.

Welcome aboard!

if you want to know about trout fishing PM me I'll let you in on a few spots
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Newcommer needs...

You'll face plenty of responsibilities and options in just getting to AK, getting around, and then getting back.

Do your homework and seek out the guidebooks in the bookstore on this site that will assist you.

A good AK experience in fishing and touring is all about the planning...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Default Upper Susitna

If you're in and around the Talkeetna area, be sure to give us a call. I'd be happy to point you in the right direction. There isn't a whole lot of fishing opportunities near Cantwell, you'll want to work your way south from there on the Parks Hwy, stopping at the freshwater tributaries.

Good Luck
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

In cantwell there are several places to get into grayling. Bring an ultra light spinning rod ot 2-4 wt fly rod and you will have a blast catching 30-50 fish an afternoon.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Thanks to everyone who's replied, I look forward to any further suggestions.
    Will also have UL gear for the grayling. I'm reading the 2 Gunnar Pedersen books, as well as another on Kenai peninsula fishing by Dave Atcheson. OK Bernard I'll get your book and read it too. I'm sure all this will help get a jump on preparation and planning.
    I was going to bring a small selection of terminal tackle based on what I read, common sense and any recommendations, figuring I'd buy what's missing/needed once I arrive in AK.

Anyway, I'm sure this won't be my last trip to your beautiful state.... it'll be a great learning experience

Keith

Keith,

WELCOME to the forum!

Be forewarned...if this is your first trip to ALASKA, two things will happen:

First, you'll kick yourself for not heading north sooner.

Second, you will skimp and save however you can to pay for several return trips.

You and your family will have a blast. Take time for some sightseeing, maybe some flightseeing and visit with the locals where ever you go. They are a wealth of information and they are willing to give you advice if you ask for it in the right way.

Be sure that your family understands that Mother Nature may dictate what you can and can't do on any given day. Be ready with alternate plans if it gets too warm or too sunny! And be sure to bring good rain gear for all so that they can enjoy the real Alaska. Don't worry about the bears, they usually stop eating after downing the first child!
    Last edited by BernieP; 04-08-2008 at 11:08. Reason: Add some text