Thread: Carolina Skiff Bottom

Default Carolina Skiff Bottom

Wanted to ask if anyone coated the bottom of a Carolina Skiff. If so with what. Will be running the Yukon. Just looking for some extra protection hopefully without too much drag. Thanks for any info.

I have had the pleasure of being the passenger on a 24' Carolina skiff to the Koyukuk a number of times. We ran 70hp and 75hp outboards, so we were not very fast and had to carry a lot of fuel. We did nothing to the bottom of the Carolina. I will admitt that we tend to walk in every river we navigated, so yes we did hit bottom. We never experienced any damage to the hull, now our self image is another story. Always had fun and the boat never failed us. Last trip we were in a "new" boat with modern depth finder and never hit bottom, new experience. When I say we, there was always at least 3 people and sometimes 4 people in the boat. We normally launched from Nenana. My experience says you shouldn't have to do anything to the bottom of a Carolina skiff.
    Jeff

Thanks Jeff, been down the Yukon and up the Koyukuk a number of times myself. The sandy shore shouldn't hurt the boat just wondered if there might be something that put my mind at ease.