Thread: Small Boat Heater Advice...

Default Small Boat Heater Advice...

I have a 20' Olympic with the small cabin and am thinking of using a Coleman ProCat heater, to keep my S.O. happy and warm while I'm fishing. Is that a good choice? What are the disadvantages to propane? I appreciate the advice, and am open to suggestions, Thanks.

A CO detector would be a good idea with any type heater. Propane will make the air damp and probably fog windows, but if you need a heater just now and then and don't want to spend lot of money on a diesel heater (or one that plumbs into a sterndrive/inboard engine) then propane would be a good option.

Propane always makes the window foggy. If you open a window it helps, but also counters the warming effect that propane has. They are cheap and worth a try. A CO detector is a really good idea even if you don't have a heater......

Default MR heater

I run a 20ft Sea Runner (soft top)... I use a Mr. Heater Buddy portable lp gas heater. These things are designed for INDOOR USE... Can you say - Low-Oxygen shut off!!!!

I put a mount (bolted on) just below the middle windshield (above the step)... It locks in place and allows me to run the heater even when under way... Yes a squeegee or a synthetic chamois is needed to keep the windows fog free but WELL WORTH IT....

It also has a "shock sensor" built in so occassionally when you catch that rogue wave just right it turns itself off...

Here are the specs:

• Designed and approved for indoor use
    • Automatic low-oxygen shut off system
    • Uses 1 lb. or 20 lb. propane cylinder with optional hose connection
    (Mr. Heater Stock #F273701/02)
    • Free standing or wall mount
    • Quiet, odor-free, lightweight, portable
    • Easy to carry
    • 4,000 & 9,000 BTU high and low setting
    • Heats up to 200 square feet

I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THESE FOR WHAT YOU ARE CONSIDERING... The low setting will cook your beaK!!!!

http://www.mrheater.com/productdetai...catid=41&id=24

Can buy them most any hardware store and/or outdoor store in Anchorage...
    Last edited by WinMag; 04-06-2008 at 21:37. Reason: additional info

I also have a mr. heater and it is great. On the really cold days. IE going out on the water in march, my propane tank will ice up. But it works great otherwise. I also have a 12V back seat heater mounted on the dash. It works well for circulation and to keep the chill off.

i agree i also use the large mr heater. it has a battery opperated fan and it will cook you out of the cabin. it does fog the windows for about 10 min. until they get heated. i have had my 20 searunner with soft top to 93* when it was 42 outside. if you get a mr buddy get the power cord to run the fan. the d cells work but why bother with battery changes. but it does shut down alot on rough water. but just rember to turn the fan off. batteries did last me all season and i had alot of people up fishing from texas. you can also get the adapter to use a 20# tank but the little bottles work just keep a few in stock. i used a case last year but i stayed out on alot of overnight trips. will have to this year to take enough fish to make it worthwhile and get enough shrimp.well just thought i would let you know my thought.oh mrheater is like 110.97 at sportsmans warehouse

Default Thank You

I wanted to say thanks for the information, and you guys taking the time to respond. I had heard of the windows fogging and like the squeegee idea. I'll check out the Buddy heaters. I just need it for occasional use. Thanks again.