Thread: What dates for dalls?

Default What dates for dalls?

I am booking a hunt far enough in advance I have my choice of dates to dall sheep hunt alaska (Chugach).
    What dates would you pick (10 days) and why? I am leaning towards end of August (2nd hunt with outfitter). Avoid crowds somewhat but not really late.

Default Take A Look At This Site

www.wildlife.alaska.gov/

WITH THIS YOU CAN LOOK UP REPORTS AS TO WHEN SHEEP ARE SHOT, SIZE OF SHEEP SHOT ECT.

Default have seen this info

I have seen the info, most sheep are taken first week, but most guys hunt the first week. There are not a enough stats (I think) to compare success rate by dates hunted. So I think the stats are misleading, plus many late hunters are trophy hunters looking for rams pushed down by snow.

I am having a tough time deciding, if I want to go the first hunt I need to wait one more year (I am already waiting a long time!).

Well, ask your guide. Seriously, I'm sure he can give you some honest info on his personal success rates based on the dates hunted. I personally prefer early season, but I've also been fortunate enough to take a ram on the 18th of September. It can work either way, but surely the guide will be able to give you the best info. If he hunts an area that gets little outside pressure it shouldn't matter either way.

Why do I prefer early? Typically better weather, sheep aren't skittish yet from being chased, longer daylight (minimally, but every bit counts), and it opens up my later hunting dates to moose, caribou, etc. Just my preference, though.

-Brian

Default timing

Don:
    I hunt the later season for one reason, less crowded as that is most important to me. But there are less sheep, its dark early and cold. I run into snow frequently. But I am not paying anything for my hunt. If I was saving for a guided hunt I would want the best odds of success which are early as there is less likelihood of weather problems and more daylight to hunt. The increase in hunters can actually improve your odds of success as they get the sheep moving around. I had a hunter recount his harvesting a large ram in the wrangells which moved right into him. Doubtlessly this sheep was pushed by other hunters. A well planned hunt I would go first or second week.
    Good luck

Default I booked

I booked the second hunt!

Thanks guys

you only need ONE sheep anyway....

Default Good Choice

Good Choice Don. You will avoid the bulk of the hunters and most of the sheep are still there; certainly your ram will still be there if you go with a decent outfitter.

Default Good Choice

That would have been my pick - fewer hunters, better weather (not as hot), better chance for bigger sheep, less (no?) bugs, less vegitation down low on approach, and lastly, to me, a late season hunt "feels" more like sheep huntin' weather with the gray overcast clouds, blustery wind, and wisps of clouds passing in, thru, over and around the mountain sides and peaks. Good luck.

Default Late Hunt Also....

Hoping to do the same....we are hunting the DCU and not flying in until the 4th of September on the late hunt, hoping to avoid the crowds and hoping some snow will push the big boys down a bit. It will be cold...but that's ok...I live in Fairbanks so if it's not -40 who cares!

Good luck everyone!