Thread: Fly rod wt for salmon?

Default Fly rod wt for salmon?

I'm not sure what the best line wt would be. 8-10 wt is what I am looking at. I don't want to get too big or too small. Mainly fishing for silvers, but I want enough rod to handle a king if I hooked into one. Thank you in advance.

In my opinion 8wt line is fine. I use it for Kenai Reds and Silvers with not problems at all
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

A good 8 wt will do you fine. If you plan on targeting Kings I would bump up to a 10 wt. I landed a 25 lb. king in 06 on my 8 wt. it worked but I was definitely under gunned. You will find that a 10 wt will be more than what is needed for silvers and you feel like you are fishing with a broom stick.
    JMHO

an 8wt is fine and you won't have any problem catching kings on one.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Thanks guys. I believe the 8 wt is what I will go with.

I just purchased an 8wt for my salmon fishing down here in SE.

Got a Sage XP 8wt 9'0" 4 piece.

8wt will work for all of the pacific salmon.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

I have used an 8 for lots of salmon and with the exception of kings over 30-40 lbs in fast water I can get by fine with it. If you want to do battle with any salmon in fast water, like in the kenai or the like i have used 9 wt rods to good effect as a nice compromise
    River Runnin

A good rod is important, I purchased a Scott 10wt a couple of years ago after being beaten senseless by two sizable Kenai Kings on my 8wt sage, but just as important to your success, is a good reel. Something with a strong drag, for example, I use an Abel Super 10 large arbor, and so far I've turned everything thats come along. On another note, a 10wt is also a bit more useful when roll casting a big fly across big water when your in a tight spot.

8-12 wt depending on species and location. I like a heavier weight for those times I'm fishing around lots of other people. I've seen people fishing in a combat fishing area with light rods and they play the fish so much everyone has to keep moving out of their way. Many of the other fishermen and women didn't like their day being messed with by someone that had gone a little light.

If I'm fishing for reds on the Kenai with lots of other people around I'm going to use a good 8-10 wt so I can get the fish in a little faster

I like a good reel as well. I'm using an American Classic Sales 7-9 wt reel. It's anti-reverse and built like a tank. It's made in Utah and is the most affordable anti-reverse reel you will find.

Default 3???

A friend of mine in Juneau fishes for silvers with a 3-wt. He's kind of crazy, though. You need to know what you're doing if you want to go that light. Plus, he packs it back to places where he is all by himself. I agree with roknjs that you don't want to mess up other people's fishing because you want to go for a ride.

I fish for salmon on an 8-wt.

-Gr
    My signature is awesome.

The one thing to consider is the action on the rod you get. An 8 wt would work great for you if you get a nice fast action rod that has some back bone to it.