Thread: Project Checker plate finished.

Default Project Checker plate finished.

Finished installing new 1/16" Al. checker plate in the Alaskan. Saved about 30lbs over the plywood and deck guard. More when its wet
    I added bags of sprayfoam under the cockpit plates for added support, and more foam under the rear plates where needed. All the contact points are covered with truck canopy foam tape. I am very happy with how rigid it is, and quiet too.
    Now to build up the transom and sides
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thats a good looking job. Where do you get your aluminum? That stuff sure does seem high priced.

Thumbs up

That came out real nice!

Checkerplate always looks nice i think. Kinda bright though...
    It isn't cheap, but to re-cover the floor boards with DeckGuard was going to be ~$200 to do it myself. The main 1/2" marine ply board was getting soft, so another $50 or so to replace it. The checkerplate cost me $320, and it will never need replacing (theoretically) and its lighter, all good
    I get all my Al (smaller orders) from the local sheet metal shop who stock all sorts of grades, extrusions and sheet.

Default New floors

Looks great, how are you adding side height to it like the new ones have?

Yukon, good looking job, always nice to shed some weight especially if the results are just as functional as what was there or better. Be aware as you probably already thought of, but in the right situation at the right angle with the sun in the optimum spot, you will feel like you are in a reflector oven and there will be little to do about it until some factor changes. Some precut and fit lightweight marine carpet or something could make you smile that you took the time to bring it with you, especially when the oven effect gets you when you are anchored over a favorite fishin' hole and the bite is on...rats, I don't want to move. Good boatin'. Oz

If you want to kill the mirror effect, just acid etch the surface with Zep-A-Lume or similar product. It will also make it much easier to keep clean.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

To raise the sides, i'm going to have some 1/8" sheet Al bent into the dimensions of 3"x1.5"x1", thats 3" rise, 90degree to 1.5" flat, then a 1" drop. I will cut off the existing rails, lose maybe 2-3"s of height on them to keep the profile down, then weld this bent rail, with the 1.5" flat on top (to allow for the re-attaching of the rails), on to the corner where the rails are welded now. I will have to fit in a piece at the bow end to fit the windshield frame.
    This height will be what i work from on the transom end to build it up.
    I'm thinking about keeping a cut out in the center of the transom at the old height to allow for using a prop OB, although i wonder how often, if ever i would run a prop.
    Joat, thanks for the info on the etching

Looks great, but I would caution you, that new aluminum gets real slippery when wet. Have you thought of putting a non-skid finish on some of the locations most prone for where you walk. A little bit of oil, fish slime, bait, bug juice, beer and all the other spills in combination with a little bit of water really adds to the slipping hazard.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    Looks great, but I would caution you, that new aluminum gets real slippery when wet. Have you thought of putting a non-skid finish on some of the locations most prone for where you walk. A little bit of oil, fish slime, bait, bug juice, beer and all the other spills in combination with a little bit of water really adds to the slipping hazard.
    Beer, on a boat? That never happens
    Point taken on the slippery factor. I've used Al checkerplate on stair treads before, and haven't found it too dealdy, but we'll see how it goes.

Default hummmm

Looks like a woodridge 20ft extra plus! Good idea, let us know how it works this summer and I may retro mine for next year.

ALASKAN SEA-DUCTION
    1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
    MMSI# 338131469
    Blog: http://alaskanseaduction.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AKBassking View Post
    Looks like a woodridge 20ft extra plus! Good idea, let us know how it works this summer and I may retro mine for next year.
    Its little brother, 17.5' Alaskan.
    There was a skiff of snow on it this AM, and i stood on the floor, and it was pretty secure.