Thread: river/creek rapid classifications

Default river/creek rapid classifications

Does anyone know of a reference site that tells you what river classification that many AK rivers and creeks are? Like Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6. This link from this, or this old, site explains quite a bit, but does anyone know if there's anything else out there with classifications?

http://www.outdoorsdirectory.com/areas/index.htm

Thumbs up river classes

Yes there are some newer reports on rivers and conditions.
    this reminds me of the time I traveled down a river rated @ a nice and easy 1 and a short class 2....
    A avalanche or slide at sometime between my trip and the writing of the river classification had deposited a 1/4 mile section of Class 4 or 5, Maybe even putting them both together as a class 45...lol
    anyway.. with a loaded raft with moose and gear not straped down or ready for any white water, we came around the turn and found ourselves in the middle of a boulder garden with some as large as my 900 sq ft cabin... standing waves 6 ft high. To this day I believe we would have capsized if it weren't for the moose and people ladden raft weighing in at 2800lbs.. we punched thru those standing waves taking tidal waves over the boat knocking me from the rowing seat.. We bounced off rocks spining and twisting... In a few hundred feet it was all over...other than fetching all the loose gear floating down the river. We spent a day collecting what we could find and calming down..
    very traumatic... Now I plan to be prepared for changes if the landscape would support a slide etc.. those rivers in flatter areas will not change much.
    Mike Strahan has a book coming out soon with good updated info, and Karn Jetmars book on Alaska rivers is excellent also..
    Max

Default River lists

Here is one I put together for a quick list:
    http://www.paddling.jimstrutz.com/page20.html

Also check out this one, it has far more info: http://www.eddyflower.com/CountryDetail.aspx?StateId=3

Default Thanks so much

this is a great help in updating the river classes.
    much appreciated.
    I will file this is in the good stuff file.
    Max

Default River Info

Fast and Cold by the late and great Andrew Imbeck is the best for the rivers he describes, which are often smaller, big white water, rivers. The book is really well done.

Also, be careful with Karen Jetmar's book. She did not run most of the rivers she describes. I would try to confirm specific info with other sources too.