Thread: Remington Model 788

Default Remington Model 788

I am considering buying a used Remington 788 in .243. This gun appears to be in fair condition. The stock looks good, the barrel has lost some of it's blueing. It has a scope, but it is a piece of junk and I'll have to replace it. I am taking it out to see how it shoots this next week. The guy selling it said he bought it for $350. What would be a fair offer? I want a good deal, but I also don't want to cheat him out of anything. Any ideas on the value of a gun like this would be great.
    Thanks

There are several up for sale on gunbroker.com right now. If you can get a real clean one bought for under $400.00 then you've done well. Gunbroker also has several clips for sale for this rifle.

Timney now makes a nice after market drop in trigger for the 788.

Quote Originally Posted by mountainhunter View Post
    I am considering buying a used Remington 788 in .243. This gun appears to be in fair condition. The stock looks good, the barrel has lost some of it's blueing. It has a scope, but it is a piece of junk and I'll have to replace it. I am taking it out to see how it shoots this next week. The guy selling it said he bought it for $350. What would be a fair offer? I want a good deal, but I also don't want to cheat him out of anything. Any ideas on the value of a gun like this would be great.
    Thanks
    I have the same rifle and it is awesome. The 788 is a very accurate weapon indeed and the .243 has more punch than I thought it would have. I once used it to take a whitetail deer at 80 yards and the 100 grain Sierra Boattail had a clean pass-through and the deer took two steps and crumpled like a piece of foil.

I agree with the previous poster that anything under $400 would be a good deal. Congratulations.

Big Stick

Pretty easy to shoot loose,due to the rear locking lugs and mags are getting spendy. I've a few.

The 700 is a better Mouse Trap,both in the short and longterm..................

Quote Originally Posted by Big Stick View Post
    Pretty easy to shoot loose,due to the rear locking lugs and mags are getting spendy. I've a few.

The 700 is a better Mouse Trap,both in the short and longterm..................
    I agree about the 700.... you will be happier if you wait and get one of those. The 788 is a good deal with the original purchase price being lower than the 700, but long-term (especially with hot loads) the 788's have proven more problematic. You can get a 700 for a little more and know you are going to have a lifetime shooter.
    Hunting, camping & shooting goodies. http://www.laksupply.com