Thread: Crab in PWS

Default Crab in PWS

At the Sportsmans show today, I spoke briefly with a vendor that said there should be a recreational crab opening this August in PWS. He didn't have any details. Has anybody heard anything about this?

Interesting. We've got a stack of pots ready to go if this ever happens.

Saw it, too. Donalson Co., right? I asked the guy which species would be open and he was not sure, but thought that we would be limited to two pots. F&G website revealed notta for this pea brain. Perhaps someone else can get a definitve answer.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Interesting Question. Just two week ago I listened to a Fish and Game interview on the radio while going through Glennallen on the way to Tok and the Fish a Game officer said that there are not enough of them to start a sustainable fishery even after all of these years. However, he did indicate that their numbers are slowly recovering. Maybe they got some new data?

I got data I will tell you. I don't know how many times I pulled my shrimp pots up and found the pot plum full of crabs last year. I just hope if they do open it they make sure to monitor it so it doesn't
    get out of hand.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Well, if they open it, I know which boat to follow.....

Default need to check

Well, the crab fisheries in PWS had been closed in regulation...meaning it needs action by the Board of Fisheries to re-open. But, I see the Board acted on a few proposals at their March meeting this year...proposals 361 and 363 were passed with amendments. Those proposals were to open personal use King and tanner crab fisheries in PWS. Now, before anyone jumps to any conclusions, it would be important to see the amended language that passed. I'll try to see what I can find out.

It would be nice to think that fishery has recovered enough for a little small scale crabbing. I too have caught a good number of crab in PWS in a shrimp pot - all of then tanners.

Back when I was on the Board the Department said that the tanner crab population had a high biomass but very few were legal size...they were all little crab. Maybe they're finally had a good recruitment.

Art.

Default sketchy news...

I hesitated to post this because the info I have, so far, is only secondhand. I'm still waiting for more official information. But, what I heard is that the new PWS crab (king and tanner)fisheries are subsistence only (not PU) with a very restrictive pot limit (2?) and an annual limit (5?) crab. I'll post more as I get it.

Art.

Thanks for the update Art, will take your words with caution.

If it does happen, who qualifies for Subsistence vs. everyone qualifying for PU? I am guessing only rural residents would qualify, no Anchorage or Soldotna.

Default Crab

If it does happen, who qualifies for Subsistence vs. everyone qualifying for PU? I am guessing only rural residents would qualify, no Anchorage or Soldotna.[/QUOTE]

Lets not jump to conclusions, I'm sure any definative answer to these questions are 3-6 months out, at least.

Default info...

Here's the scoop from Dan Bosch (F&G)...

"Hello Art, There will be subsistence fisheries for both Tanner and Golden King crab in PWS. The season is Oct 1 March 31 with a 2 pot limit per person, 2 pots per boat. The daily limit for Tanner crab is 5 male Tanner with 5.5 inch carapace. There will be an annual limit of 3 male golden king crab with a 7.5 inch carapace (Im not certain about the size). Some areas of the PWS will be closed to protect nursery areas and they are Port Gravina, Port Fidalgo, and Galena Bay . The Port of Valdez and a portion of the Valdez Arm will also be close because they fall within a non-subsistence area. This fishery is still a ways off, so you will have plenty of time to gear up. I believe the pot sizes a restriction are similar to what is currently fished in SE AK . Everyone will also need a permit. I am sure the commercial fish division is currently working on the design for these permits, as this fishery will fall under their management. Fell free to give me a call if I have confused you."

Dan also added:

"this is what I have been telling people who have inquired
    about this at the Sportsmen's Show. I believe I have most of it correct,
    but I have not seen the final version of this written up yet (you may
    want to include this as a caveat)."

Art.

All Alaska residents qualify for state subsistence fisheries.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Question King Crab

This is great news.

I've pulled up a lot of small tanner crab inside my shrimp pots, and have had some big ones that hung on to the pots from the outside.

I've never pulled up a king crab. I have heard they used to get them near the harbor in Whittier years ago. Does anyone know what depth or what kind of terrain the king crab like?

Default PWS King Crab Info

I just found some info on PWS king crab on Fish & Game's Commercial Fisheries website. Here is the link:

http://www.cf.adfg.state.ak.us/regio...sh/pws_gkc.php

Quote Originally Posted by Lion Rock View Post
    I've never pulled up a king crab. I have heard they used to get them near the harbor in Whittier years ago. Does anyone know what depth or what kind of terrain the king crab like?
    When longlining for sablefish in Prince William Sound at depths of about 1,800-2,000' we'll sometimes pull up king crab on our baited hooks. The hooks will get caught in their joints, and they get to go for a 4,000' round trip. We can't keep 'em, but they're still cool to see coming up from the depths.