Thread: Any boaters from Haines??

Default Any boaters from Haines??

Was wondering if the Ferebee or Tsirku Rivers are possible to go up?
    The Ferebee looks like it would be a fun short trip.
    Thanks

Default Rivers

Yukoner
    If you wanted a interesting river to try you might consider the Endicott.
    I have been planning to do that one in the late summer when the river has a few fish.
    As far as the Ferbee I would bring some crab traps and try setting in Taiyasanka. I think your right about it being a short trip.
    Have you been on any of the smaller rivers in the Yukon with your jet boat?
    The northen Yukon has some exciting rivers. The Olgilvie can be a hand full when you hit it any time after August. If a person had two boats I would be inclined to try the Blackstone and the Hart. I was always a little sheepish to go down river from 238KM.

I was just thinking of some short trips on the coast, and the Ferebee looks like a fun little romp.
    This will be the first summer with the boat, so lots of exploring to do.
    The Hart would be a heck of a long trip. I canoed it from Hart lake 10 years ago, and its some amazing country. Really good Stone sheep country, if you can carry the fuel. Some good size ledge rapids, similar to the Ogilvie, but at fall levels, shouldn't be a problem. Have you ever been up the Ogilvie from the YTG camp?
    You in Whitehorse?

Default Rivers

Hi Yukoner
    Yes I live in Whitehorse,and have been up from the YTG camp three times.
    It sounds like you have a nice jet boat, is your primary interest to hunt or fish with it?
    There is certainly alot of exporing to do with a jet boat.
    The Ogilvie is very nice in early August, the latest i tried it was the middle of September for moose and the was barely enough water to go four miles.
    What do you have for an engine on your boat?

Well, its a little jet boat really, but it should do what i want it to.
    Mostly its to just get out and explore. It will be used for moose and sheep hunts, but light moose hunts as its only a 17.5' Alaskan. Some fishing.
    I've got an '03 115 Evinrude FICHT on it, has 20 hours on it.
    What are you running?
    Might have to plan some trips
    Cheers
    Paul

Default boats

I have a 14.5 welded aluminum with a tunnel and a forty hp jet drive. Two guys and a small moose will get on step. A big moose forget it.
    I have done several sheep hunts from my jet boat and have enjoyed the country it gets me in.
    We Should go for a coffee some time

the ferebee is loaded with log jams, would waste my time, the tsirku....be ready for an experience, been a few boats lost in there, tight corners & sweepers, shallow water, & fast moving water. the chilkat would be your best bet it's runable the whole lenght with numerous launch points

Quote Originally Posted by excav8tr View Post
    the ferebee is loaded with log jams, would waste my time, the tsirku....be ready for an experience, been a few boats lost in there, tight corners & sweepers, shallow water, & fast moving water. the chilkat would be your best bet it's runable the whole lenght with numerous launch points
    Thanks for the info dude! Thats what i needed to here.
    There appears to be a canyon way up the 'Kat, is it possible to get through?
    How far up the Kluhini to folks go? Any good fishing up that far?
    Chukar.
    PM'd ya.

yes there is a canyon up the chilkat, it's way up there & your almost to canada then, the klehini, to shallow & narrow for what your looking for

Default Jet boating near Haines

Besides, for most of its run, the Klenhini is adjacent to the highway. There is an airboat that parks at the "Devil's elbow" on the Tsirku. I don't know how far it runs upriver. I've flown that valley many times and there is some interesting country I'd like to see from the river but haven't made it up there yet. If you've been thinking about the Ferebee, you might consider the Takhin; that looks a lot more interesting (from the air, anyway). It may have as many obstacles as the Ferebee but it has possibility of a longer run. As mentioned, the Chilkat gets lots of traffic.

If you make any of those runs I'd be interested in hearing about it. Maybe we could hook up and look at maps over a beer?

See if i've got my orientation right, the Tsirku is the river running by Chilkat lake, and the Takhin is one river down stream, or is it the other way around?

Default Tsirku/Ferebee

The Tsirku is doable with a jet boat all the way to the Leblondeau Glacier from the put-in at the Chilkat Lake landing.But the area called DEvils-elbow is justly named. The Ferebee is like that song....something about,fools rush-in,where Angels fear to tread. Maybe some good crabbing in the harbour, but don't leave your pots overnight.

Quote Originally Posted by kwhale View Post
    The Tsirku is doable with a jet boat all the way to the Leblondeau Glacier from the put-in at the Chilkat Lake landing.But the area called DEvils-elbow is justly named. The Ferebee is like that song....something about,fools rush-in,where Angels fear to tread. Maybe some good crabbing in the harbour, but don't leave your pots overnight.
    So, besides logjams, sweepers, tight corners and other associated hazards, why NOT take a burn up the Ferebee