Thread: hunting in barrow

Default hunting in barrow

new to this forum so hello to everyone. i live in Juneau and am finally making my first hunting trip up north. i am going to barrow july 27 - Aug 11 and was curious how the caribou hunting is at that time, i believe i have everything needed for the trip except a game cart but i have heard that it is tough to hunt around there without an ATV any information is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by mk_snipe View Post
    new to this forum so hello to everyone. i live in Juneau and am finally making my first hunting trip up north. i am going to barrow july 27 - Aug 11 and was curious how the caribou hunting is at that time, i believe i have everything needed for the trip except a game cart but i have heard that it is tough to hunt around there without an ATV any information is greatly appreciated

Thanks in advance
    WOW You're going to fly into barrow and take off across the flatland tussocks, pulling a game cart, in search of boo? Please file a trip report when you return.

Default don't

I lived in Barrow for many years and hunted boo for my primary meat source.....

that will be a very brutal time of year to try and hunt boo from Barrow. Even if you do get an ATV you won't get that far out of Barrow.... it is very wet immediately south. You can get a good ways south if you follow the beach but you won't find many boo's. You may wander across one or two but it would be pure luck.

The locals don't don't hunt Boo's that time of year for the most part. those that do take a boat out of Barrow and go down the Chip river to access inland animals...

My advise would be to get with a local in advance and see if someone will run you south for a quick trip. I wouldn't try it alone.....

Good luck. PM me if you want more info.

Greg

+1 for AkGreg................find someone to take you out by boat.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

well my next question does anyone know anybody that will take me and a couple friends out by boat and how much would somebody normally charge for that

I live and hunt here in Barrow, I totally agree with Greg.

The person I would contact would be Shawn Brower (Greg, Shawn is Charlies son). Shawn just got his guide license and he is a pretty handy hunter, he also has a kick ass boat and a cabin about 50 miles down the coast.

I live and hunt here in Barrow, I totally agree with Greg.

The person I would contact would be Shawn Brower (Greg, Shawn is Charlies son). Shawn just got his guide license and he is a pretty handy hunter, he also has a kick ass boat and a cabin about 50 miles down the coast.