Thread: Spring Trout

Default Spring Trout

What are the best streams off of the Parks and Rich to fish for Rainbows? Also are things broken up enough to start fishing in late April? Thanks in advance for any answers.

Depends on your definition of best. General rule further from town better fishing, concentrate on the mouths of the streams. Fry and flesh patterns are your go to's.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Ok, to rephrase my question, I was told that you have to go South of the Alaska Range to catch trout. That makes sense and seems to be the case. Are there more trout the further south you go? Are the streams along the highways fishable in May? I have the highway Angler Book, and it leaves a lot of questions for me.

Theres good fishing from broad pass to houston at least in the fall. Of course in the spring it might be different because the further north you go the more stuff i frozen.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Byers Creek, hands down the best.

Default Go have a look

And possibly the beariest. They all have trout but some may be dirty at certain times of year while some are not so have fun exploring. You cant just say im going to the best places for trout and expect to have the best trout fishing, best to look around a bit.

Default Bear TAG

Well I just bought my spring bear tag, maybe I can get a double. Do people have objections to shooting Bears in the State Park next to the river? If I'm not mistaken that area now has a "no closed season" for Grizzly Bears.

Also, can you float this river?

Correct me if I'm wrong bear hunters but in the spring the hunting is better in the hills glassing south faces and areas with lots of fresh greens.

Byers creek has a lot of bears because it is a teeny creek (smaller than little willow) and it gets quite a few salmon for its size. In the spring there might be decent fishing in the lake at ice out (usually around late may). It is definately not floatable.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody77 View Post
    Not the full length of the creek, but you can float a boat from the lake at the outlet, far enough downstream, to get to a few really good holes where the trout lay and wait for the salmon smolt to leave the lake in spring. The trout are concentrated in the holes, gobbling up everything that moves. All the bears I have seen in the area, were in the August-October timeframe. Mostly grizzlies other than one black bear that I saw walking along the edge of the lake in June.

Default float

Watch out for a couple tight spots that could contain new lumber blocking passage. It certainly funnels up in a few spots where the elevation drops considerably, be prepared for what lay ahead.
    Last edited by whitepalm; 04-07-2008 at 13:08. Reason: more

Mark

......Do people have objections to shooting Bears in the State Park next to the river?......
    Some folks have objections to shooting bears............period.

Default Chulitna

You can definately float the Chulitna, the only "river" in the area.