Thread: Blueberries, anyone?

Default Blueberries, anyone?

Anyone have any luck with growing blueberries in the backyard, in the Interior? How'd you do it? Or any of the other berries. Salmonberries, etc. But not mooseberries!

Default Raspberries

I sort of took over a garden from my landlord so these plants were already in place. Strawberries grow fairly well, and Raspberries grow like wildfire! They taste so darn good! I can hardley wait to get at them again. Best of luck!

While I've never seen or tried blueberries, I did notice that Wal-Mart in Anchorage had blueberry bushes for sale. End cap display in the gardening section, 2 weeks ago. The display box was half empty (or full, if you prefer), so I would assume that there are a few folks in the Anchorage area who are trying them out. I did a quick look over the package, and it didn't say anything about Alaska on it. So, being it was in Wal-Mart, those could have been any number of lower 48 species that wouldn't survive up here, unless you build the right habitat.

Both raspberries and strawberries do very well in gardens, and without much maintenance at all.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

i can attest to rasberrys not needing maintance, my next door neighbors are lazyier then the day is long and they got huge high yeilding rasberry bushes.

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Raspberries do grow very well. Only problem I have is my dog goes into back yard and jumps on the green square thing (transformer?) and eats the raspberries of the bush before I get a chance to get them. It is all out war this year!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greythorn3 View Post
    i can attest to rasberrys not needing maintance, my next door neighbors are lazyier then the day is long and they got huge high yeilding rasberry bushes.

Ray
    Hardly any maintenance that is. We keep to being pretty organic in our yard, but our raspberries developed some kind of disease looking condition last year. I'll probably spray with a fungicide and pesticide early season this year (just once) and see how that goes. I don't think the damage was from the leaf miners that eat all our birch and aspen trees...

Brian

Once you plant then they never go away. Each year I see new bushes pop up in my back yard. Like eveyone is say no maintenance really required.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Whatever you do, don't plant a blackberry bush.....

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Where were you with this info about two years ago????? I'm being over run with them..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default fungicide

I get a grey fungus on my raspberries sometimes. I found a site that had a recipe for fungicide that leans towards organic. It goes like this
    1 tbls. baking soda 2 1/2 Tbsp. veggie oil, mix with one gallon of water. Add 1/2 tsp. pure castile soap ( I found this a GNC health food store) Shake this up to mix thouroughly and then spray. Make sure to keep it mixed up good as you go. Spray on the top and bottom of the leaves and some on the ground. Repeat after 5-7 days. Says it will prevent mildew and blight. If they already are infected it suggests you spray them off with water to knock the spores off then spray with the fungicide. A pretty cheap remedy so I am going to try it this year. Also if you have holes in the leaves it might be slugs. Several saucers of beer will intise them, they drink themsleves to death! It really works.

i ate them ones with the grey fungas before it acts as a afrodisiac

Ray
    Semper Fi!

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    I love blackberries and make a mean blackberry cobbler!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska Gray View Post
    Where were you with this info about two years ago????? I'm being over run with them..
    Blackberries will grow up here???

I'm also curious if domestic varieties of blueberries would cross with wild varieties?
    Now what ?

Very interesting about the blackberries too. I'm curious as to how well they would do. I love going up high in the mountains; about the last things growing are the raspberries (my favorite!!). I don't know why but raspberries seem prone to that gray mold all the time. Most of the time they have in even when I buy them in the grocery store.

Default Goose Berries

We have a row of Goose Berries growing along the edge of our property. It requires absolutely no maintenance except to trim it back every winter. The kids love taking bowls out and cleaning off the branches in the summer. We also have golden raspberries growing along the fence in the backyard. The neighbor is responsible for that mess. Her bushes grow so dense that when they finally do berry, they tend to mold almost immediately. I thin my side down regularly so that the berries get as much exposure to the sun as possible which gives me very large and sweet berries.

Default homemade sprays

Quote Originally Posted by tananaBrian View Post
    Hardly any maintenance that is. We keep to being pretty organic in our yard, but our raspberries developed some kind of disease looking condition last year. I'll probably spray with a fungicide and pesticide early season this year (just once) and see how that goes. I don't think the damage was from the leaf miners that eat all our birch and aspen trees...

Brian

a great homemade pesticide
    liquid dish soap 1/2 cup
    and cayenne pepper 2 Tbsp
    dilute with enough water so it can be
    sprayed through a standard spray bottle.
    i use it on my Bonsai trees

Default Wild Alaskan Blueberries

I used to live in AK and would love to know where I can get a start of the wild alaskan blueberry bushes...any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Teresa Marie

My wife bought a blueberry plant at a greenhouse last year. It's thriving.

Raspberries are abundant at the Anchorage house and at the cabin. We're lucky to beat the bears to the best berries at the cabin!

Try Dr. Bronner's peppermint soap, diluted, for an organic insecticide. Instructions are on the bottle. Find it in any health food store. It's great in the shower, too!
    http://www.drbronner.com/DBMS/PEP.htm