Thread: winch rope

Default winch rope

anyone know about winch rope. my cable broke today at the the spool. I like the idea of of winch rope just dont know about how abrasion resistant it is. i know the 3/16 rope is higher break strength than cable. and it has no memory. just looking for info on where and what brand to buy

Default plasma rope

A couple years ago, the winch cable on my wife's machine broke. I had heard some of the guys at work talk about how great the synthetic rope stuff was, so I gave it a try. I have been very happy with it so far. I think the features that I like the most over the wire cable on my machine are no more slivers through your gloves, and the lack of coil memory it has. People also say it floats, which would be nice if you were stuck in water, and dropped the hook in the mud/water. I got mine from AIH in anchorage, I think it was around 45 dollars for the 50 foot section of it. I think that is definitely an improvement over the wire cable, and worth the few extra bucks.

Jake

It isn't abrasion resistant at all, just like normal rope. This is it's major drawback. (maybe the only one). So if you winch over rocks or trees it will shread, so if you can avoid doing that you'll like it.

Most ATV winch cable replacement kids come with a few feet of tubular fabric sheathing which you leave attached to the rope (the rope passes through it). You would slide that down to the point of abrasion (if there even is one), to help protect the synthetic rope.

Also, if you haven't already, you should make sure that your fairlead is very smooth, and if not, replace it with a one piece billet one, to help your rope last longer.

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Most ATV winch cable replacement kids come with a few feet of tubular fabric sheathing which you leave attached to the rope (the rope passes through it). You would slide that down to the point of abrasion (if there even is one), to help protect the synthetic rope.

Also, if you haven't already, you should make sure that your fairlead is very smooth, and if not, replace it with a one piece billet one, to help your rope last longer.
    That rope still shreads from use, no way around it and you are NEVER supposed to use a regular fairlead with it.

Default amsteel blue

I have heard good things about amsteel blue winch rope, although I do not have any personal experience with it. Here is a quick link I looked up.

http://www.amsteelblue.com/

Pretty sure this thread should answer most of your questions...

Check it out

Abrasion is a real point for synthetic rope.
    Anyway, It's easy to buy a piece of rock guard to protect the synthetic winch rope.
    At the same time, replace your roller fairlead with an Aluminum Haswe one is usually necessary.