Thread: How old is your sourdough...

Default How old is your sourdough...

... and what are your favorite sourdough recipes?

Mine is 10 years old, and I use it exclusively for pancakes. Here is my recipe:

The evening before I will use the "sponge", I mix in one cup flour
    and a tsp. of sugar. ALWAYS use non-metallic bowls and spoons. Put in a
    warmish place.

In the morning, in a bowl, I place one cup flour, one tsp. sugar, and enough warm water to make into a thick batter. Allow to work while you make bacon (save the drippings!).

When you are ready to make pancakes, place 3/4 tsp baking soda and 1/4 cup water in a small microwavable dish, and nuke for 10 seconds. Quickly add to the batter and stir. Your batter should become light and bubbly, and have a "ring" to it when the bowl is tapped from the side.

Quickly (the chemical reaction doesn't last long!) pour portions of your batter onto a HOT skillet which still has bacon drippings. If you have cran or blue berries, now is the time to add them by hand onto the pancakes.

Turn pancakes when golden brown, and serve hot with butter and syrup (low bush cranberry is the best!).

Default 10 months and bubbling

My starter has been bubbling away on the counter for 10 months now. It was a gift from another family's sourdough pot that has been going for many years. I mostly make pancakes, waffles and biscuits with it. Once in awhile, I'll try something new. The sourdough razor clam fritters I made came out great and my wife makes sourdough doughnuts that sound weird, but are pretty good. Birch syrup is especialy good with sourdough pancakes.

Besides staying away from reactive metals, I even go the extra step to protect my starter by not using the municipal AWWU tap water to feed my starter with. I don't want to poison my precious starter with that nasty fluoride they inject into our water system. I'll use tap water to feed the sponge, but only MSR filtered Chugach Mt. water goes into my sourdough pot.

I have some sourdough starter that traces back from 1911...It's the best!

Default Rookie <==

Well this is hard for me to admit but I have no starter. I would love some help as to how to make it or if someone can send me in the right direction to get some I would be VERY appreciative.

I actually went to culinary school but never got into baking that much so I missed out on that section. I am a Sour Dough Freak and would love some Tutoring.
    The best way to change someones mind is with a ROCK!!

Default All ya gotta do...

Quote Originally Posted by speedtrap View Post
    Well this is hard for me to admit but I have no starter. I would love some help as to how to make it or if someone can send me in the right direction to get some I would be VERY appreciative.

I actually went to culinary school but never got into baking that much so I missed out on that section. I am a Sour Dough Freak and would love some Tutoring.
    ... is mix up a four/water mixture and leave it out for about a week in a warm place. Some people use water left over from boiling potatoes. In about a week naturally occuring spores will have landed on and colonized your batter, and it will start to bubble. Just add some sugar and more water and flour and within several weeks your starter will become sour.

I discovered sourdough by leaving regular Bisquick batter out in a warm place for several days and found that it had fermented. I just kept on adding flour and water when I realized what I had.

Better than starting from scratch, you can buy pre-packaged starter and keep it going, or even better yet, get a bit of starter from a friend and take it from there. Some starters are as much as a hundred years old or even more.

To travel in the old days, "sourdoughs" would make their sponge into a thick dough, and keep it warm. Really active starter will blow the lid off a sealed container should you travel with it.

There are many books on sourdough cookery, but Ruth Allman's may be the best, and she was a true sourdough.

Default I tried to make sourdough...once,

& it turned green!

Default Yeah....

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    & it turned green!
    ... if you don't feed the sourdough to keep the yeast happy, the mold spores will colonize it and take over. Just gotta clean off all the green scum and get it going again. That's what gives sourdough character. I know there's some two-legged "sourdoughs" out there on the lower Yukon, Marvin (not Cheechakos anyway). They'll set you on the right course.

Default Keeping the sourdough...

Use and replenish your sourdough every week or two then it won't mold up or make too much liquid (alcohol). And every so often please do transfer your started to a new, very clean container and keep it cool. Or, if you don't plan to use it for a while store your sourdough starter in the freezer.

Sourdough is like the energizer bunny, it just keeps going and growing!~

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Default Still waiting...

... for some recipes! Would particularly like a reliable recipe for biscuits.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... for some recipes! Would particularly like a reliable recipe for biscuits.
    Do yourself a huge favor and flavor, buy a good sourdough cookbook. There are a few really good ones out there.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Got some Al ...

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    Do yourself a huge favor and flavor, buy a good sourdough cookbook. There are a few really good ones out there.
    ... including Ruth Allman's (as I mentioned above). But like fishing, hunting, boating, snowmachining, and other information, I prefer to consult people on this forum to consulting a book. It's more personal and you can ask questions and get answers.

Default over 100

Someone gave us one back in Virginia that dated over 100 years but we had to give it away when we moved overseas. It was the best and I hope I will find someone willing to give me a starter with some history when we get to town.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    ... including Ruth Allman's (as I mentioned above). But like fishing, hunting, boating, snowmachining, and other information, I prefer to consult people on this forum to consulting a book. It's more personal and you can ask questions and get answers.
    When the boss gets back home, I'll ask her for the recipe. I don't remember which cookbook she got it from, but it sure has been a winner at our house. Batching it, makes my mouth water thinking about them.

With black bear gravey, just flat out one of the best things you will ever put in your mouth.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default Born 1991

I started mine back in 1991 with a starter kit I bought in Glitter Gulch in Denali of all places. I treat it better than I treated my kids I suppose. I would suggest that when you get it going you make enough to put in 2 separate jars in case something happens to one. I use the old style canning jars with a flip bail and leave the rubber gasket off. I have a 3rd jar that I boil once a year or so (sterilize) and pour one starter into that and rotate my jars that way. You can also take a fewTBSP's of your starter and dry them on wax paper to use later. I have a few discs in my cabin up on the Salcha and when I go up for a week or 2 at Christmas I just rehydrate them and get them started. Nothing better than sourdough pancakes in a warm cabin when it's -40 outside. I just made a batch of pancakes and now it's time to eat. Enjoy

Mine's not old enough, it died last week. I hadn't eaten any for awhile and forgot to feed it.

Default Ktnkngfish...

We're not talkin' 'bout hootch here... :P

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    We're not talkin' 'bout hootch here... :P
    It was getting pretty powerful before it got sick.