Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cheapest Fishing weights in Anchorage area?

Default Cheapest Fishing weights in Anchorage area?

Hi guys,

I need to buy some fishing weights!! There's a seller on ebay who does cheap bank sinkers but I dont really want to carry 10lbs of extra weight on the plane!

Is there a cheap way to buy them in Anchorage?

thanks

Yea, how about the tackle store? Just curious what do you need 10lbs of lead for?

Check out BJ's in Anchorage. Lots of good stuff for your angling needs!

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Hi guys,

I need to buy some fishing weights!! There's a seller on ebay who does cheap bank sinkers but I dont really want to carry 10lbs of extra weight on the plane!

Is there a cheap way to buy them in Anchorage?

thanks
    You can use my mother-in-law for fishing weight. More than 10 pounds, but free!

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Yea, how about the tackle store? Just curious what do you need 10lbs of lead for?

Check out BJ's in Anchorage. Lots of good stuff for your angling needs!

I think he's talking about sinkers for surf fishing 6 & 8 ouncers.

I was talking about all of it. I have this good/bad habit of buying things in bulk. So I know I can buy all the weights I need online for really cheap. But if there is someone you guys know in anchorage who makes the weights in his basement, then I can buy from him. Know what I mean? I know when I was in Rhode Island I met this guys who have hundreds of pounds of weights in his shed and I could just stop by and purchase whatever I needed for ultra cheap. Just wondering if you know anybody that does it around anchorage.

I need things like:
    Pyramid sinkers in the 6-8oz for surf casting.
    Jig heads - 1.5 up to 3oz or whatever it takes to get to the rockfish, or halibut from a kayak.
    Bank sinkers, again for the kayak.
    Barbell for my biceps...2 lbs. Ok fine, 1lb.

Im going to lose a lot of lead during my stay, so if I can get it cheap in anchorage, I may not have to order it.

TR. - I tried using my mother in law, but after a while, she just kept floating to the top?!

It was worth another try......

Default weights

That is a big problem this year. B&J Commerical usually has the best prices or just make your own. Prices in Fairbanks for 32 Oz Sinker... Wallmart $18 and Sportsmans mall $9. Price to drive to Anchorage 70 gallons fuel * $3.78 = $264.60 plus food drink and motel 6 $175 total with out weights $439.60
    I would of like to when to the Sportsman Show, and purchased my weights in Anchorage but the overall cost was just to much. I had a bunch of lead that was given to me years ago and just made up 150 32 oz sinkers, 60 20 oz sinkers, 60 16 oz sinkers and a bunch of 10's,8's, and 6oz sinkers. So good luck in your search.

Why are we talking about this again? I would bet the difference between BJs, Sportsman Warehouse, and Old Seward Walmart is slight. Just buy em in Anchorage. But if you find yourself in Seward, the Fishhouse is surprising close to the big box stores in pricing.

Default Use Junk Metal

Use scraps of steel or metal pipe and drill a hole in them to attach to a sinker clip. Machine shops sometimes have nice size scraps they will give you for free! They rust, but.......so what.

Here is a little known fact:

If you need to ship lead use the "Flat Rate" boxes from the Post Office. It is usually are $10 for whatever you can fit in a box up to 70.bs. My dad got one of the small sized boxes and managed to fit 68lbs of lead in it from back home, it got here in 3 days for $8. I felt really bad watching the mailman deliver it up the driveway. By the time I got out to help he was at the house, and apologized for the condition of the box. I apologized to him for the weight of it and thanked him.

Default EBay

There are many vendors on EBay that will ship 50 lbs. of lead to AK for under $10.

If a bunch of you guys live near each other, why not buy a mold, the lead adf get together on a Sat. for a day of casting lead and share some fish stories and a beer or two?

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I had a good chuckle thinking on the mail man carry your near 70lbs flat rate box. You can also do the same with Salt when flying to remote Alaska. Or take as your person size carry on for free, it is funny then when the TSA guy grabs your bag thinking it is 10lbs.

Remember not all weights are created equal. Split shot is a good example some sucks, and the rubber core weights can go from great to real junky.

Quote Originally Posted by yukon View Post
    Here is a little known fact:

If you need to ship lead use the "Flat Rate" boxes from the Post Office. It is usually are $10 for whatever you can fit in a box up to 70.bs. My dad got one of the small sized boxes and managed to fit 68lbs of lead in it from back home, it got here in 3 days for $8. I felt really bad watching the mailman deliver it up the driveway. By the time I got out to help he was at the house, and apologized for the condition of the box. I apologized to him for the weight of it and thanked him.
    Not doubting you but how did you get the box to stay together ??? I shipped some heavier items the same way and the boxes blew apart even though i taped them up well.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

My dad taped it up really well, although is was begining to break as he carried it up. The lead in the box was in 25lb shot bags so I think that helped.

Default Wood

Since it is flat rate. Make a small plywood box to fit inside the flat rate box and nail it shut.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Mmmm, saturday night lead sniffing - good for the grandchildren too!

Don't forget to vent it when you are melting it.

Just curious, have any of you folks priced halibut weights recently in Anchorage?

Stop in some of the bigger stores and be prepared to be shocked.
    Tennessee

Don't take much to pay off a mold and some eyelets, sometimes I wonder if they are made of silver instead of lead.

Supporting Member

Default Fishing weights

I'm casting/pouring sinkers in Wasilla and am charging approximately half of what Wal-Mart is asking. Have molds for ball, banana and bank sinkers (among others). Will consider exchanging your lead for sinkers at 2 for 1 exchange rate if you are not interested in paying cash price.

Default Lead

Where do you buy lead?
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast