Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: argo or no?

Default argo or no?

My retirement/hunting cabin is on a mountain, end of unserviced road (8miles). It is blocked by deep snow from December-March, then blocked by stretches of deep snow in shaded areas interspersed with bare or muddy dirt/gravel road. I would like if possible to have year round access...I can retire sooner if I spend less...so if I could get one thing to do 2 jobs, voila!!!So is it quad plus snowmobile or argo or? I want utility, not into zooming around in the bush.Any shared experience would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

The Argo's claim to fame is that it also floats. Given your needs, have you considered instead putting all-season tracks on an ATV?

Default best of two worlds

"all-season tracks on an ATV"

That's the first thing that came to mind for me also. The tracks can be a bit spendy...but less than an Argo. They were displayed at the Sportsman's Show in the past and if memory serves me right ran about 5K. Also seem to remember that the manufacturers noted that changing back to tires was essentially just changing hubs - one set for tires and one set for the tracks. As I recall there was a retailer in Fairbanks. I am sure someone here on the forum will have more current info than I am able to provide. Perhaps even someone with personal experience will speak up. At a minimum I would at least explore this option - internet search? Good luck.

Default tracks in Fairbanks

I believe the Alaska Fun Center has them in Fairbanks.

Thiokol imp four seasons.

FYI, I just saw there's a set of Mattracks for sale right now on Craigslist.

One thing to inquire about with Mattracks, however, is how well they do in snow, as their tracks have shorter tread lugs than the winter-only models.

Check out this thread:
    http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=20035
    It is very extensive and should hopefully answer most of your questions.
    The name of the dealer in Fairbanks is TRACK MAN. He lives on Chena Hot Springs Road phone # 907-490-2350.
    I have the XT 1" lugs and they float plently well on top of snow and mud and mustkeg etc.

Good luck

If you get the Argo you are going to have to have tracks otherwise you are just going to sit there in deep snow and watch the wheels on the argo go round and round. The only bad thing about an atv with tracks is is does not float , At least not for very long.
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Default Argo vote from me!

Bearheart,
    I was in the exact same boat a few months ago and I went ahead and took the plunge. I have a cabin about 8 1/2 miles down an unimproved trail with the same conditions you describe. I talked with most of my neighbors up there and they all pretty much avoid their cabin's during breakup. That wasnt an option for me so I started researching my options. The argo just made the most sense. I can haul up to 6 people and our dog easily and can tow all the gear/buidling materials I would ever want to pull and can do it in conditions that no other machine can touch. They are expensive, but you get what you pay for and there are used ones that pop up from time to time for a good deal. I bought a 97 conquest 8x8 with an aluminum top, soft sides and only 400 hours for $6500. Now I can do some serious moose hunting and other exploring with the same rig and its alot of fun as well. I could go on and on! If you have any questions shoot me a pm.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Thanks, I think I will follow your lead, now if I could find a deal like yours, I would be off to the races. How large a trailor do you need to get it from town to the bush? How do you protect it from theft?

A very good friend retired, needed access and bought an Argo. Then along came the weight limits/restrictions for hunting purposes using the ATV's. Now it is only used to access his cabin. The Argo's exceed limits for some of the hunts, so you need to make sure you area is not subject to the restrictions now or will be very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by bearheart View Post
    Thanks, I think I will follow your lead, now if I could find a deal like yours, I would be off to the races. How large a trailor do you need to get it from town to the bush? How do you protect it from theft?
    The argo is approx 5' wide by almost 10' long, so just about any snowmachine or atv trailer will work. My machine sits in my garage when not in use and so far I have not left it sit unattended anywhere. There are lots of options to keep it safe though. The bottom line though is if someone wants anything bad enough they will force you to use your insurance.

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    A very good friend retired, needed access and bought an Argo. Then along came the weight limits/restrictions for hunting purposes using the ATV's. Now it is only used to access his cabin. The Argo's exceed limits for some of the hunts, so you need to make sure you area is not subject to the restrictions now or will be very soon.
    What is the weight limit and where is that at? I did tons of research on exactly that prior to my purchase and that is why I went with the
    Argo.

it is 1500 lbs dry weight- before you pack anything in it. Some hunts have gone to this and it seems to be the wave of the future.

Argos are under 1500 lbs. My 2000 Conquest if I remember right only weights about 1025 lbs. So I don't see a problem with Argos and weight restrictions.

450hunter is right the conquest weighs 1025 lbs add another 100 lbs for super tracks and you are still under.

Thats what I thought it was and there are not any argo models that exceed the 1500lb dry weight restriction. AKRES, your retired friend is fine anywhere in the state that allows motorized vehicles with his argo.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt'N'Photos View Post
    Thats what I thought it was and there are not any argo models that exceed the 1500lb dry weight restriction. AKRES, your retired friend is fine anywhere in the state that allows motorized vehicles with his argo.
    Not sure of the model, but I called him this morning and discussed it with him. He does have the hardtop model with two winches and additional racks and assured me, that his exceeds the limit. He even said the trooper he spoke with about it, considered the trailer he drags behind, to be part of the unit. A lot of questions remain unanswered when regulations change and have to be sorted out.

He needs to take it to the scales then . Because this is one of my machines with a full trailer, Tracks and top and this top weighs more then the hard top and it weighs around 1375
    Attached Images Attached Images

Bearheart,

If it is just you and your wife, You might consider a 6x6 argo and not the 8x8. You can track the little guy also and it will save you a few bucks. But if you wait the argo response will be selling cheap from what Jason at all-season said because everybody will be selling or trading it in on the new 6x6 or 8x8 frontier.

Default Bearheart

Having used both the 6 and 8 wheel units I would recomend staying away from the 6. They are way rougher riding, scary to swim and you cant haul nearly as much as a 8 wheel. Oh ya and the 8 wheel will go through more

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast