Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tripod recommendations?

Default Tripod recommendations?

I have a Swaro. 65 mm spotting scope that needs a good tripod for sheep hunting. The Velbon that I have may not be rigid enough. Cost, weight, performance are all important factors. What are you guys using? Thanks.

Dave

Default Tripod?

Anybody have any recomendations? Anybody?

You have asked a question that is hard to answer. Let me say this about your scope. Are you going to climb with this scope? Most hunters don't climb with that big of a scope. Light weight scopes like the Leupold, people don't often carry a tri-pod for.

Big scopes like the one you have are base camp scopes and usually set-up in base camp where you are going to leave it for your climb. In that case you want to go with a stand like a heavy stand for a camera
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default General

If you want a tripod which is lite in weight and retains both strength and carries weight. Go with a quality Carbon Fiber Tripod. About 3/4 the weight for the same size and strength as aluminum.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    If you want a tripod which is lite in weight and retains both strength and carries weight. Go with a quality Carbon Fiber Tripod. About 3/4 the weight for the same size and strength as aluminum.
    Yeah but for every ounce you lose in weight there is a huge trade off in $$$$$

Default YEP

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Yeah but for every ounce you lose in weight there is a huge trade off in $$$$$
    Sooo true. A decent carbon fiber tripod is going to cost in excess of a $100 bucks. It will still weigh 2.1 or so pounds and collapse into about 22" OAL. Just 1/2 a pound or so less than an aluminum/ magnesium counterpart and 2x the price.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

Default $100 ???

If that's all they cost I'll buy one! I thought they'd be more like $300 to $400. What brands are you guys recommending? I plan to take this scope up the mountains w/ me and weight and size are prime concerns. Thanks.

Dave

I've never seen a carbon fiber packable tripod for less than 350 bucks or so. If anyone can post a link for a 100 carbon fiber one please do.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Default Tripod

The company I bought mine from is on EBAY. They have them for $100 bucks w/o head.
    The current # 130151625032. It weighs 2.1 lbs without the head of your choice and folds to 19" and holds a 17 lb camera. Has a center hook for weight addition, detering wind blow over.
    IT's not a GITZO but it didn't cost $400 bucks either.

Has anyone tried the little ball head cullmann that Barney's sells?

Default velbon

Quote Originally Posted by Big Al View Post
    You have asked a question that is hard to answer. Let me say this about your scope. Are you going to climb with this scope? Most hunters don't climb with that big of a scope. Light weight scopes like the Leupold, people don't often carry a tri-pod for.

Big scopes like the one you have are base camp scopes and usually set-up in base camp where you are going to leave it for your climb. In that case you want to go with a stand like a heavy stand for a camera
    I've packed my Televid 77 on every hunt I've been on since I got the scope 8 or 10 years ago. It has saved me a lot of walking.

standdup, take a look at the Velbon Ultra Maxi SF. It comes with a ball head and weighs about 24 ounces IIRC. I used one last fall with my Leica scope. If you're in Anchorage Stewart's Camera downtown has them in stock. It's around $125. A much better choice than the Cullmann tripod that Blarneys has.
    Art is making something out of nothing and selling it.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The company I bought mine from is on EBAY. They have them for $100 bucks w/o head.
    The current # 130151625032. It weighs 2.1 lbs without the head of your choice and folds to 19" and holds a 17 lb camera. Has a center hook for weight addition, detering wind blow over.
    IT's not a GITZO but it didn't cost $400 bucks either.

Over 2 lbs plus the head? That sounds like too much tripod for packing. My current one weighs 22ozs total and cost me 20 bucks. Pretty solid too. I just can't seem to find a 1 lb tripod though and I'm too cheap to spend 350 bucks on a small carbon fiber. When mine finally dies I'll probably go for the little Velbon with the ball head.

Seriously though guys. Check out the camera department at Walmart. They have a small tripod for 20 bucks that weighs 22ozs and handles my 65mm Pentax nicely. Legs allow it to splay out flat so you can use it prone or it stand up like this pic of AlaskaCub spotting his ram las year

A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

I'll tell you again snyd, a $20 tripod is a POS. Spend $$ to get good gear.
    - Frank Zappa

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken View Post
    I'll tell you again snyd, a $20 tripod is a POS. Spend $$ to get good gear.
    Cheap by effective.

POS just the same.
    - Frank Zappa

No need to blow a gasket there Alasken. Why get so worked up over some 20 dollar tripod? What do you care? It's just a hunk of metal and plastic that holds up a hunk of metal and glass. If I could find one that would work for 10 bucks I'd buy it. sheese....

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    I have a Swaro. 65 mm spotting scope that needs a good tripod for sheep hunting. The Velbon that I have may not be rigid enough. Cost, weight, performance are all important factors. What are you guys using? Thanks.

Dave
    I currently use a Slik Compact XL with my Leupold 30x. Don't know the weight, but it can't be much over a pound and it is very stable with that scope. I'm going to upgrade to a 65mm Zeiss soon and have concerns that the Slik may not be stout enough. There is no reason to have good glass if your tripod will not stabilize it.

I used a $20 tripod once. Then it broke.

Default Just Don't Get it Snyd:D

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    No need to blow a gasket there Alasken. Why get so worked up over some 20 dollar tripod? What do you care? It's just a hunk of metal and plastic that holds up a hunk of metal and glass. If I could find one that would work for 10 bucks I'd buy it. sheese....
    Don't you realize that things are always related to how much you pay for them. I mean granted many times you get what you pay for but there are little jewels that out preform high dollar items for a fraction of the cost. Since I got in on that Sportmens Warehouse Zeiss Diascope 1/2 off deal a few months ago it must mean that my scope will only work 1/2 as well as if I had paid full price to order it from Cabelas right . If the tripod works for ya more power to ya.

Default USE

Tripods are like rifles, everone has a different need. That's why there are so many different kinds of rifles and so many different kinds of tripods.
    I'm sure Steves tripod fulfills his need or he would upgrade. I may just have different needs than Steve on the others on the forum.
    I not only use my tripod for spotting but as a camera tripod as well. That's why I bought a tripod that will extend to 50 plus inches and hold a camera securely while I look through the viewfinder, or allow me to use my spotting scope while seated. Also my tripod head allows for the taking of panoramas and is stable so timed an entended exposures aren't a problem.
    At 2lbs and 6 ozs it might be heavier than most would want to pack sheep or goat hunting. I haven't gotten into that yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    That is too funny. Who is blowing a gasket and getting worked up dude??
    Why do you get so excited about when someone dares to disagree with you. It really doesn't matter why, but I disagree with you because I know it bugs you.

FWIW, the OP asked about a tripod for his high dollar scope. To put a piece of crap set of legs under it makes no sense. I have the habit of spending money for a quality piece of equipment once, not several times for replacing crap.

You're the one who needs to calm down, maybe take a break from the mod chair you're sitting in.
    - Frank Zappa

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast