Thread: Book Recommendation : Four Season Harvest By Eliot Coleman

Talking Book Recommendation : Four Season Harvest By Eliot Coleman

The above described book is such "AN INSPIRATION"... if you haven't read it, my family & I HIGHLY RECOMMEND it!!!

Being a "SURVIVALIST" who's into "SELF-RELIANCE" I always promote knowing, eating, & harvesting wild edibles... Who could say "NO" to something that is all around you, FREE organic/high quality food from Mother's Nature's FREE supermarket!? Good good stuff... and if the S.H.T.F. you've got it all around no matter where the heck life takes ya, ya know!?! But I will also say, that if you are currently "planted someplace" and want to better yourself (or should I say add to the selection/buy less inferior storebought $$$food$$$) and be more self sufficient... I highly recommend the following book:

FOUR SEASON HARVEST By Author: Eliot Coleman

Here's some more info. on it below:

Book Description for ISBN 1890132276

If you love the joys of eating home-garden vegetables but always thought those joys had to stop at the end of summer, this book is for you. Eliot Coleman introduces the surprising fact that most of the United States has more winter sunshine than the south of France. He shows how North American gardeners can successfully use that sun to raise a wide variety of traditional winter vegetables in backyard cold frames and plastic covered tunnel greenhouses without supplementary heat. Coleman expands upon his own experiences with new ideas learned on a winter-vegetable pilgrimage across the ocean to the acknowledged kingdom of vegetable cuisine, the southern part of France, which lies on the 44th parallel, the same latitude as his farm in Maine. This story of sunshine, weather patterns, old limitations and expectations, and new realities is delightfully innovative in the best gardening tradition. Four-Season Harvest will have you feasting on fresh produce from your garden all through the winter.

Reader Reviews of Four-Season Harvest

***** Practical, stress free gardening
    We love this book. We've practiced what is written in this amazing book for our first garden and were super pleased with the results. Many who have seen our garden are inquisitive about the techniques. My husband is more excited about compost than gardening, this book showed him how to make a great compost pit.

*****Does this book even need another 5-star review?
    Even if you don't want to garden year round (if you do this is the only book you need), it's a fascinating and fact-filled read. He tells how to garden more efficiently, how to compost and rejuvenate soil with crop rotation and "green manure" and which direction to plant rows for optimal time in the sun. There are formulas throughout such as how high a retaining wall to build to protect plants from cold (the wall heats up during the day and radiates warmth back during the night), or how many degrees to slant a bed to maximize sun and minimize cold wind damage. He tells how to plan succession planting to have vegetables year round, rather than one humungous crop all at once. His tone is congenial, never talking down or above his target audience. It's fascinating--if you buy you won't be sorry!

This book is loaded with dynamite information. I have enjoyed reading it and will certainly make use of the info therein in the future!

*****Four-Season Harvest: Organic Vegetables from Your Home Garden All Year Long
    Eliot Coleman has combined how-to text with drawings that inform and inspire. Highly recommended reading!

*****Helpful info
    I am very excited about becoming self-sufficient in feeding my family of six. This book has extremely helpful ideas that are very cost effective. Highly recommend this book.

My family & I have had this book for many years now (since it first orginally came out). This winter we built our first greenhouse/ have had temps down in the single digits" ... and while all of the goodies are gone from the outdoor garden, we've been eating LOTS of fresh greens from our cheap $25 greenhouse (which we quickly made/nothing fancy on the south side of our house ~ scrap wood/a sheet of plastic... could also use saplings if one wanted to). Aaaaaaaah, if some guy up in Maine can do it.... so can everyone else, if they REALLY wanted to! I think that the key is picking/planting super cold hardy crops!

Here are some pics below to share from our current winter gardening experience/success!!! My family & I can't wait to try it out when we are finally up in Alaska... it would be interesting to see how well it works up there under different conditions?

Super Cold hardy Russian Kale (above photo)

In the above photo you can see our super cold hardy MINER'S LETTUCE (greens on left) and CORN SALAD (greens on right). This is some of what they grow in France during the winter garden season...

Happy EATING & READING (<--if ya decide to get this outstanding book)!!!! I'm really curious to see how this concept would work up in Alaska???? Has anyone tried it yet????

Thanks & have a GREAT DAY/WEEKEND everyone!

P.S.- This greenhouse was built on the south side of our house which naturally creates heat.... with no added heat/lighting or electricity used to maintain it.

Talking A few more pics to share...

Hopefully some of you will find this to be INSPIRING!?!!

(Who's eaten lots of yummy healthful greens all winter long... YUMMY!!!)

Thank's for the heads-up on the book and photo's of your garden-it's beautiful-nothing like fresh from the garden food!