Thread: REMOTE AK. LIVING ~ Where & WHY?

Talking REMOTE AK. LIVING ~ Where & WHY?

Thought that this would make for a "FUN & INTERESTING THREAD!"

The question being asked is :

WHERE IN ALASKA DO YOU THINK IS THE BEST PLACE FOR REMOTE LIVING... WHERE & WHY?

Yes, I know it depends on many different things & ones needs or lack there of... but I just thought that this could make for some good readin' for the masses! lol

Other than that, have a wonderful day!!!

~W~

Default Living on the river

would be my choice, because you just never know whats around the next coner,lol, ( also get to run the boat)

Default How remote

How remote do you want to go? Small village, off the road system, off the river system, off the grid completely.

First thing that might determine where, is where is land for sale. You just can't build a cabin anywhere in Alaska.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Near sitka

I would pick a nice piece of land elevation around 1000' on the east ( back side) of and Island. It would have to be within 10 miles of a fresh water stream. I would have a 23 aluminum and a small skiff around 10'. That area would provide, Halibut, salmon, rock fish ( lings) crabs, possibly shrimp, clams, and mussels. The Black bear, Black tail deer. Enough rain to harvest Potatoes, onions, cabbage. Run solar power for some stuff.
    What a life that woudl be. I almost for got a I would have a wireless card from att , Cant live with out the net. LOL
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

As my wife and I were working on the cabin last summer she asks "Why do you want to live so far away" I say - so it will cost the kids a hundred dollars in fuel to come borrow twenty bucks CN

upper Kobuk

beautiful country, sheep, black and grizzly bear, caribou, moose, bountiful berries, solitude, great summers to produce a great garden. And I like cold weather

Southeast, probably on POW. The weather is more forgiving and it's not totally cut off from the rest of the world.

I am biase, I grew up on Kachemak Bay and think that it is one of the best places to live. I would be in hog heaven if I could get a little place across the bay from Homer. Of course the chances of that happening are slim to none given that all the richies from the 48s are comeing up and buy all the places so they have some place to hang out for the one week a year they come up.

Mark

Southeast on a live-aboard motor-sailer or float house.