Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yum Yum Sushi!!!

Default Yum Yum Sushi!!!

MMMM Mouthwatering Sushi, this is Salted Salmon fish sushi with pepperocini's & crab meat....MMMMMMM Talk about DELISCIOUS! "I Gar- On- Tee! (said in my best cajun Justin Wilson cooking accent)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is some of my wife's wonderful sushi. She typically makes the rolls with salmon, avacado, and mango. Sometimes we'll put in a few bits of cucumber for a crunchy texture.

Default Looks wonderful Brian

But I have read SO MANY posts about parasites on this forum, that I'm even having a harder time eating smoked fish lately.

I hates the worms... yech!

Do you long-term freeze or salt your salmon?

Thumbs up sushi party

here is a pic from galen's 7th b-day...all he wants is sushi!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Homer Dave...

Now that's what I call a Sushi Party! MMMMMMMMmmmMMMMM

Do you need an adult child to adopt???

Default Parasites Schmarasites....

"But I have read SO MANY posts about parasites on this forum"

Live life on the edge for a coupla times there Sayak... :P

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    Do you long-term freeze or salt your salmon?
    Well, the first time we made it we were clueless, so we used fresh fish. No problems noticed thus far, though.

We long-term freeze our fish. From what we've read, this should make it safe. For how good this stuff is, it's well worth it.

Any prep details or tricks? Jeez -- this thread has me hungry!

Doc

Default Rulz...

#1, NEVER EVER use Minute Rice, if you have to use Hinode or Niko Niko or some other short grain rice, & don't use basmati or thai rice, I am sure you could in a pinch but it's best with a short grain rice...

#2 Buy the kit, it helps...specially the bamboo mat roller...

#3 use lots of rice & Leave some space for your end to "seal" off the nori for closure, I see Brians other half don't do that, but I like to...

#4 Get the Sushi for Dummies Book, You can learn alot from a Dummy...

#5 Buy Real Wasabi for special occasions, & the other immitation horse raddish for non special occasions...

#6 Remember, rice is the key, the best rice cooked & uncooked wins...you can create your own, as I do, with limited fresh veggies here in the bush (we pay a killing for avacodos when they come in & aren't always the freshest)

#7 Don't be afriad to experiment, I used whitefish, salted king/coho in mine & it has paid off with great tasting sushi...(the freshest fish the better)...

#8 Come fly out to Marshall & buy king salmon directly from Marshall Fish Plant, you won't believe your tastebuds

#9 Remember if at first you don't succeede try try again...(I didn't try again after one failed attempt back in 2004, untill we were running out of food, & had to do something with the frozen white fish that was given to us, this last fall)

#10 Never EVER use Fugu!!!!!!

Default Not anymore

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    "But I have read SO MANY posts about parasites on this forum"

Live life on the edge for a coupla times there Sayak... :P
    I have used up my edges. I play it safe nowadays realizing that life has enough surprises as it is.

I think I will try this with some of my long frozen king. Will halibut work?

Talking Yup, halibut is gooood

Sushi is as much about texture as it is taste, thus halibut makes some really good sushi, it's chewy and kinda rich. I use cross cut pieces of the shoulders or other large flaky areas. Another tip is to take a super sharp knife and trim every face of the fillet you intend to sashimi. This gets any chance of a freezer burned part not being served as it can really ruin the dinner for a bit , insert sake and rinse

Again, the super sharp knife thing is huge as it allows you to cut ideally once if only twice to make your slices, and also, slice one way only (usually towards you) it helps the integrity (consistency) of the fish and it displays better as well.

Another fun trick is toasted sesame seeds spread on before you roll your sushi, it adds a nice flavor and crunch.

I normally use frozen king...but I am curious about sockeye...I know it would look great but I"m curious about flavor...and finding half a worm

Thumbs up halibut sushi... (hirame)

use the little ones, under #6. the meat has a better texture and there are fewer worms.
    on bigger halibuts the cheeks and the corrugated meat strip that is along the fins (usually gets left on the carcass) are best for sushi.
    there is a japanese name for that fin meat, don't remember what it is, but it is really good stuff. makes a good gunken-maki with mayo, black sesame and tobiko or masago.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Another thumbs up on halibut. I started making sushi after the last ODD BBQ, thanks Mrs. Brian M for the inspiration. Great way to feed a ton of folks for very little cash and if you get a little creative you can really pump up the wow factor in your presentation.

Gogoalie were are you getting true wasabi? The real stuff is hard to come by and super expensive, even most good sushi restaurants don't have real wasabi and it was like 50 bucks for a tiny tiny jar last time I saw it.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Quote Originally Posted by gogoalie View Post
    #3 use lots of rice & Leave some space for your end to "seal" off the nori for closure, I see Brians other half don't do that, but I like to...
    That was only her second attempt at making sushi. You're right that we should have left more room, and now we're in the practice of doing so. Good eye for detail!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Here is some of my wife's wonderful sushi. She typically makes the rolls with salmon, avacado, and mango. Sometimes we'll put in a few bits of cucumber for a crunchy texture.

O'man! You guys hurry up and have that kid! I NEED ANOTHER SUSHI FIX!

Quote Originally Posted by Catch It View Post
    but I am curious about sockeye...I know it would look great but I"m curious about flavor...and finding half a worm
    We have only used sockeye so far. We found a part of a worm when cutting it in a Newhalen sockeye (already ~100 miles from ocean), but didn't have any issues at all with dipnetted Kenai sockeye.

Curt
    Grab a 12 pack and head on over. I can have 24 made in oh...about 20 minutes.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default A few Kenai reds have them

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    We have only used sockeye so far. We found a part of a worm when cutting it in a Newhalen sockeye (already ~100 miles from ocean), but didn't have any issues at all with dipnetted Kenai sockeye.
    Summer before last I netted a red which I immediately cleaned and found not just one worm, or a few, but a BALL of worms in the gut cavity. I didn't see that they had entered into the meat, but we cook our fish pretty well, and I try not to think about it. Also, much of our halibut and salmon has been vacuum packed and frozen for the better part of a year, so if freezing does indeed kill them, we are in good shape.

I used to join in with my native family in eating raw the part of salmon behind the heads (nuchal area?). I also used to not be too careful with my cooking stir fry salmon, but not anymore. I guess I will try the reds for sushi and pray well over my meal!

Default Catalina Offshore Products...

I think is where I got mine...I had use up the whole tube of wasabi the day I opened it up, & it was way better than the horseradish wasabi they make, I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but it was definitley worth while...

Brian I wasn't trying to be elitist or anything, as you can see I have both salt fish & Imm. Crab meat in mine... :P I just caught that you wifey's rolls were thin & not sealed off...

The Whitefish I used is also called Buffalo...good meat!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    I started making sushi after the last ODD BBQ, thanks Mrs. Brian M for the inspiration.
    Mrs. Brian M (that would be Sara M) is feeling awfully proud that she was the inspiration behind someone else getting into sushi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast