Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tanner crab opening in k-bay

Exclamation tanner crab opening in k-bay

i have it on good authority that there will be a sport/personal use fishery this year from july 15-march 15. this was decided in-house by the area sportfish bio a couple days ago, and carol kirklovit (sp?) will be at the F&G booth at the sportsman's show to announce it.
    5 per day, 2 pot limit.
    this is expressly against the recomendations of the homer AC.
    even those on the AC who supported the idea in concept did not want a sport opening, as this will allow charters to drop pots for non-residents, nor was there any support for an opener prior to late august or september. generally the crab taken in the summer are not "full" from the spring molt until early fall.
    there was some support on the AC for a personal use fall/winter fishery, but the current plan as was outlined to me is well beyond what this fishery could likely support .... and that is according to the bio who collected the population data.
    there is a management plan that dictates an opener at a certain population, and though the crab census does not at first "interpretation" meet the criteria, it seems that after sufficient "tweaking" it was made to...
    just to make it more special there is no provision for any in season management... in other words, after an 8 month opener the harvest reports will be counted....

guess i may as well try to come up with a couple pots and a davit this fall and see if i can get a few crabs this winter....cause i doubt there will be many next year.

this reminds me of the old joke... "if you want to wipe out mosquitoes in alaska, put F&G in charge of managing them"
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Is it going to open in the bay,or just beyond Pogi point?

Angry INSIDE the bay

that's the deal... everybody knew it was going to open west of the pogi/anchor point line, this is a sudden announcement that it will ALSO open in the bay.
    there must have been some pressure for this from somewhere. another example of politics trumping sound resource management, and the absolute disregard the homer area bio has for the AC on this issue.

You should check with F&G again because you will find that K-bay will not be opened this season.

Homerdave, is there data showing that the Tanner population can't support this personal-use fishery? To my knowledge, and according to F&G, the tanner population has been steadily increasing and is now opportune for such a harvest. Also, if you feel the Tanner resource is in jeopordy, and there won't be any next year, then why would you get some pots and a davit and fish them anyway?

Question where is your info from?

mine is from having dinner with a comm fish bologist last night. he was very clear on what he told me. he is the guy that collected the data that this openng is based on.
    i was explicit in my questioning, and called him after dinner to be sure of what i had understood before posting this.
    as i said, this decision was apparently reached in the last couple days...
    i have a call in to the area bio right now, she should call me back within a couple hours.
    nothing would make me happier than for this to be a misunderstanding ... i truly hope my buddy was wrong, but i would be surprized...

Default grampyfishes...

partly my reply was in jest, but partly "why not?"

i would concede that the population could likely support awinter personal use fishery, but it is doubtful that it can take a non-res summer sport fishery, and foolishly wasteful to open one on soft crab.

Talking okay, i got this sorted out

i talked to the area bio, and here is the deal.
    if the trawl survey shows over a 150,000 male crab estimate one more time, the fishery will be opened, since the last two surveys were over 152k it is unlikely the next one will be less.
    since the survey is USUALLY done in june, F&G was anticipating a july opener, and some interdepartmental e-mails indicated as such..
    BUT...
    because the F&G boat will be in nome in july, the survey will be put off until september. our sportfish AB apparently did not find this out from comm fish (who does the survey) until friday afternoon.
    SO...
    not yet, but soon.

fortunately the AC will be meeting to discuss this before it can be implemented, so who knows what the ultimate result will be.

sorry for the confusion... but i'm not the only one that was confused <grin>

5 crab limit will be for the boat? I'd guess so since the limit would be two pots. I can see how this could great crazy with the charter boats dropping off pots on a daily basis and sending the crabs home with non residents.

As a user of that fishery, it would be nice to get a few crabs now and again.

Hopefully it will be a personal use fishery charters dropping pots would be disastrous. Who knows maybe someday there will be enough biomass to get the commercial fishery back online.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Are we talking the same thing?

Are we talking about the same thing?

Quote Originally Posted by MRFISH View Post
    Here's the scoop from Dan Bosch (F&G)...

"Hello Art, There will be subsistence fisheries for both Tanner and Golden King crab in PWS. The season is Oct 1 March 31 with a 2 pot limit per person, 2 pots per boat. The daily limit for Tanner crab is 5 male Tanner with 5.5 inch carapace. There will be an annual limit of 3 male golden king crab with a 7.5 inch carapace (Im not certain about the size). Some areas of the PWS will be closed to protect nursery areas and they are Port Gravina, Port Fidalgo, and Galena Bay . The Port of Valdez and a portion of the Valdez Arm will also be close because they fall within a non-subsistence area. This fishery is still a ways off, so you will have plenty of time to gear up. I believe the pot sizes a restriction are similar to what is currently fished in SE AK . Everyone will also need a permit. I am sure the commercial fish division is currently working on the design for these permits, as this fishery will fall under their management. Fell free to give me a call if I have confused you."

Dan also added:

"this is what I have been telling people who have inquired
    about this at the Sportsmen's Show. I believe I have most of it correct,
    but I have not seen the final version of this written up yet (you may
    want to include this as a caveat)."

Art.

If so, nothing to get excited about. Subsistance, annual limit of 3 golden, 5 Tanner per day and the worst time of the year to be out.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

You'd think that they would be pretty safe at that time.......Crab at the store is cheap enough anyway......

Default What?

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Hopefully it will be a personal use fishery charters dropping pots would be disastrous. Who knows maybe someday there will be enough biomass to get the commercial fishery back online.
    Letting commercial fisherman back into the bay would ruin it for everyone. Keep them as far away as possible....maybe the Barren Islands with NW 55 knot winds / 32 foot seas / Heavy Freezing spray would be a good spot for them.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    maybe the Barren Islands with NW 55 knot winds / 32 foot seas / Heavy Freezing spray would be a good spot for them.
    Ah yes, let's make jokes about conditions that kill fishermen. That's really funny, particularly after a winter when so many fishermen perished.

Quote Originally Posted by HomerAdam View Post
    Letting commercial fisherman back into the bay would ruin it for everyone. Keep them as far away as possible....maybe the Barren Islands with NW 55 knot winds / 32 foot seas / Heavy Freezing spray would be a good spot for them.
    Well said ! here's something for you moon.gif

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

Default Seriously

I hope that it opens up for "subsistence" crabbing at reasonable times and will be off limits from charter boats completely.

Give it time for the comm. guys. Who knows, maybe K-Bay will once again have crab, shrimp, maybe even herring for the taking.

Angry yes..no...yes...no...YES!!

fer cryin' out loud this is goofy!!!
    alright, i got a call at home tonight from comfish (ken goldman) and the july opener IS going to happen.
    with a 5 year average of over 100,000 male crab estimated IN the bay it will open... the sportfish AB who wrote the reg misinterpreted it.(!)
    the outer district, west of a line from pogi to anchor point, will likely open as announced pending the results of the spring trawl survey.
    if the fall trawl survey has fallen so far as to no longer maintain a 100k average (not at all likely) the fishery will be closed by EO.

believe me, i try my utmost not to post bad news, and i was pretty chagrined when my info was "retracted".
    if you have questions call nicky at homer ADF&G, 235-8191.

Default I am confused

I am confused. Is this going to be a sport fishery so that every charter boat will be dropping pots for non res clients? or will it be a personal use (Residents only) fishery. I don't have anything against Charter opperators but I would really hate to see this as a sport fishery. Not much sport in pulling pots. Whats Next a dipnet opening for non residents?

Thumbs down

or maybe we could just open it to the "fishmaster", maybe that would please him, seems he wants it to himself...

Default misinterpreted

Quote Originally Posted by propbender View Post
    or maybe we could just open it to the "fishmaster", maybe that would please him, seems he wants it to himself...
    Maybe I'm taking it a different way, but I think fishmaster is on track. We as Alaskans give too many fish away to tourists. Allowing charters to drop pots for tourists would only serve as a marketting ploy. Most reputable charters are booked thru the summer anyway, so whats the difference? I do beleive some fisheries belong entirely to Alaskans. If that makes me selfish, then maybe I should change the name of my boat. If you think I'm crazy, go to Hawaii or Mexico and tell them you want to take all your fish home.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast