Thread: Inflatable on hardtop - quick release systems?

Default Inflatable on hardtop - quick release systems?

Last fall I bought an old Reinell that came with an 8' inflatable. The previous owner had it tied down pretty well - secure for cruising, but a bit too secure in case something were to go wrong and I needed to get that inflatable usable in a quick way. Anyone have a good tie-down system with a quick release?

Default Good question

I am in the same boat so to speak and dont want to loose the raft going down the road but require quick access when needed. I have been considering an emergency knife like Westmarine sells with a rounded tip and kept close but would hate to have a flat raft right when I needed it most

Will

Thanks, will, but I'll hold out for some other ideas! Otherwise, you and I might start a new thread in the fall... Best "Oh Sh*T" Moments...

Quote Originally Posted by willster33 View Post
    I am in the same boat so to speak and dont want to loose the raft going down the road but require quick access when needed. I have been considering an emergency knife like Westmarine sells with a rounded tip and kept close but would hate to have a flat raft right when I needed it most

Will

Default couple of ideas

A couple of brainstorms....

A tie down that uses a cam buckle might work... You pull the cam, unhook and throw the strap aside (no need to disconnect the other end). I could also see one of those tie down straps with a spring loaded thumb squeeze release... Same technigque... Squeeze, loosen, unhook and throw...

I don't know the name of the different types..

I know the cam type is what I use on my boat stern to trailer tie down.

The squeeze type is what I use on the cataraft...

hope that helps.

Just a thought. Get some seat belts from a junk car and use them fasten one end to the raft and the other to the rails. Then pull the belt tight, in a fix push the release button. You would need at least two. I need to come up with something as well. Or maybe two of these along with a couple tie down straps. The 3 ring release type.
    http://www.stumpfballoons.com/quick.htm

Steve

Default Cutters

Thanks for the thoughts, fellas. Cranked hard on 2 cam straps today and they seem to be holding pretty well. Wrapped them under the rail then back over the raft (rather than one strap under and one over). Will probably do for now. They held today, tested in the water/snow/rain and chop for a run from Auke Bay out to North Douglas today... didn't seem to stretch much when they got soaked.

Default one last thing

To keep it from sailing like a king size mattress... (you know what I mean if you've ever seen it)... When cruising down the highway I have to run a strap off the bow of the inflatable to the bow of my boat... Put a twist or two in the strap and it won't vibrate so bad in the wind.. When I prepare the boat for launch I pull the strap.