Thread: Halibut Cove Lagoon

Default Halibut Cove Lagoon

I want to fish at the lagon this summer. But I don't have a boat. How do I get there and where can I fish in the lagoon? Thank you for the info.

Thi

Dude!

Where's the lagoon? If its close to Anchorage, Im coming with.

You can get to Halibut Cove by taking a water taxi from Homer. Our very own HomerDave runs a water taxi in the area.

R there really halibut in the lagoon? Could I potentially get them from a kayak?

its a stocked king run... Halibut cove is a cool place. You could throw a kayak on the Danny J and head over there.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Fishermans taxi

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    You can get to Halibut Cove by taking a water taxi from Homer. Our very own HomerDave runs a water taxi in the area.
    I have to go with Brian on this.
    Dave not only has a large deck to haul things on, he is a skilled fiisherman and you might be able to pry some info out of him on the way.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

Ive been in contact with homerdave. Seems like a cool dude. Ive already pried some info out of him about china poot, tutka & jakalof. He obviously knows his stuff. First 'taxi' that can point me to the right fishing spot!

Im gonna go with him for a few trips.

When is a good time to target those kings in the lagoon?
    And why is it call Halibut cove if there are no halibut??

Default June

Its a great place. HAve fun I always do
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Default there is

my boat landed a 73#er last summer in the lagoon. Seen a whale and then the pole went nuts and a very nice butt. Pretty cool place. Never went into the little town or whatever. China Poot gets a good run of reds you can snag.

odds are there are a few halibut to be found, but I doubt any monsters. Shouldn't have any problem catching something.
    "Ya can't stop a bad guy with a middle finger and a bag of quarters!!!!"- Ted Nugent.

Thank you very much. I will contact HomerDave.

Thi

Default cove versus lagoon

there are really 3 separate areas being discussed here.
    the community of halibut cove which is served by the DannyJ, a private ferry that brings tourists to a private island with galleries and a restaurant. this area is behind ishmailof island on the west side of halibut cove proper.
    on the east side of the cove proper is glacier spit trailhead, rusty's lagoon (great campsite), wright beach (great camping, nice yurt). at the back of the cove is the saddle trail, which is the other end of the trail that goes from glacier spit up to the glacier lake and back to the cove. there is some nice structure in the middle of the cove that holds halibut from time to time. i got a nice #35 trollng in there on my way to a pick-up last summer.
    also at the back of the cove is the entrance to halibut cove lagoon.
    the lagoon is accessed through a channel that is very tricky, there are some rocks and shoals that one needs to be careful of, and when the tide is running the current in the channel is very strong. once inside the lagoon across from the channel entrance about 3/4 mile is the park floating dock, ranger station, and 4 or 5 public rental cabins. the stocked salmon tend to school up in the area of the dock and several hundred yards to either side.
    as this is a terminal fishery the fish just mill around, and as they "turn" (get red and develop hooked jaws) they generally are less likely to bite. sometime in late june F&G will open snagging, and the lagoon will get cleaned out in a matter of days...
    if you wanted to fish for them from a kayak i would suggest renting a kayak and getting dropped in the lagoon. there are some tent platforms, as well as trailheads leading to leisure lake (rainbows, camping), china poot peak, and the back of china poot bay.

hope this helps.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

HomerDave,
    When do the kings come into the area around the PUC dock in Halibut Cove Lagoon? I am going to be there in one of the cabins for a couple of days the end of May. I just wanted to get out and the cabins seemed a nice spot. I will be using a 24' Tolman and realise that the entrance should keep someone on their toes. I plan to fish some and also just cruise around sightseeing with my better half. An afternoon in Seldovia is on the list. Any ideas on must see or do's is appreciated. I'll head out in the bay and around the compass rose to chase some butt's as well. I hadn't thought about Kings.

I think all K Bay kings that are stocked are willow creek stock, so thats the run timing. I've seen a lot of fish ~June 15 the opening day of snagging is usually the best day, but not because of fish numbers...

Tolman - I don't know about Halibut Cove, but there should be some pretty darn good trolling for kings around Anchor Point and the bluffs in late May. I'd definitely give that a shot.

I should clarify that the opening day of snagging is not the 15th but the peak of the run usually is, I believe snagging opens around the 24th