Thread: Southcentral boat fishing options

Default Southcentral boat fishing options

Hi everybody, I'd like to get some opinions on the following:
    We have a 16' jonboat (with a slight "v") with 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. We really focus on the Kenai river in July/Aug for reds, kings but I'd like to diversify a little and maybe hit lakes, rivers on the Peninsula or even up around Anchorage, Wasilla, etc. (3 hour radius driving time, can extend a little for great fishing!) for other fishing opportunities. Pike are a big favorite of mine (heard Fire lake has them), but trout are fine too! I kinda just want to branch out a little and do some other things with the boat (it's a prop model). What lakes would you guys recommend that time of year that allow motor boats for pike, trout, etc? Years ago, we used to slow troll floating black & gold Rapala's for pike, walleyes, lakers in Canada. My dad misses that kind of fishing as he's not too into ocean fishing or running the boat on the river himself. I've never even been past Anchorage, so it'd be cool to see a little more.
    Thanks,
    Jim

Summit lake is a nice trout pond. Lakes in the valley seem better suited for smaller boats and trolling motors. You can still find decent lakers in Lake Louise and Susitna.And maybe a little further is up around Paxson and on in at the Tango lakes area.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Hi everybody, I'd like to get some opinions on the following:
    We have a 16' jonboat (with a slight "v") with 25 hp 4 stroke Yamaha. We really focus on the Kenai river in July/Aug for reds, kings but I'd like to diversify a little and maybe hit lakes, rivers on the Peninsula or even up around Anchorage, Wasilla, etc. (3 hour radius driving time, can extend a little for great fishing!) for other fishing opportunities. Pike are a big favorite of mine (heard Fire lake has them), but trout are fine too! I kinda just want to branch out a little and do some other things with the boat (it's a prop model). What lakes would you guys recommend that time of year that allow motor boats for pike, trout, etc? Years ago, we used to slow troll floating black & gold Rapala's for pike, walleyes, lakers in Canada. My dad misses that kind of fishing as he's not too into ocean fishing or running the boat on the river himself. I've never even been past Anchorage, so it'd be cool to see a little more.
    Thanks,
    Jim
    On the Kenai pen try: Kenai lake, Hidden lake, Cooper Lake, and Upper trail lake. For other rivers to try the clear water drainages to 20 mile river can be great for silvers in August. Portage creek and Portage lake can be good for silvers and dollies. Big Lake in the Mat-Su might be crowded on weekends but provides for good boating and fishing.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default fishing in Southcental

I sent you a PM but your box is full.Roland on the river

Thanks for the heads-up Roland, I just cleaned up my box a bit!
    Garnede, where's 20 mile? Plenty of stuff to hit in the river?
    Man, I need a LONG vacation!
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Big Jim View Post
    Thanks for the heads-up Roland, I just cleaned up my box a bit!
    Garnede, where's 20 mile? Plenty of stuff to hit in the river?
    Man, I need a LONG vacation!
    Jim

20 mile river is between portage and girdwood. It is where lots of town folk go to dip hooligan. Most don't bother after that. It has good dollies and silvers. Decent reds, rainbows, pinks, and chums. Closed for kings.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/