Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Break-up

Default Break-up

Is breakup here or is it just a tease? Temps this week have been between 50 and 55. Feels like spring.
    Mike

Default Am I the confused one?

Althought the temps here in Anchortown have been useasonably warm for this time of year and I believe we are in break up...your location says Alabama I would hope that it is a little bit warmer there than here, so maybe your in the wrong forum? Or maybe actualy here but from there? Either way, hope this answers your question

Tight Lines and cold beer!

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by FrozenMarc View Post
    Althought the temps here in Anchortown have been useasonably warm for this time of year and I believe we are in break up...your location says Alabama I would hope that it is a little bit warmer there than here, so maybe your in the wrong forum? Or maybe actualy here but from there? Either way, hope this answers your question

Tight Lines and cold beer!

Marc
    Yeah, I'm from Alabama but I'm currently in Fairbanks.
    Mike

Over six inches of new snow at my house today.........
    ... aboard the 'Memory Maker' Making Memories one Wave at a Time!

I think it could be.......I will let you know in June

Only three inches at my house today, but I'm loving every bit of it! I've already gone mt. biking and taken a nap in a grassy field in the warm sun....now I get to go backcountry skiing again in some light, fluffy snow! Alaska is amazing!

I just flew from Dillingham to Anchorage today (April 6th) and there were no signs of ice breakup that I could see from Dillingham to Lake Clark National Park. The Nushagak looked pretty solid just upstream of Dillingham as well. Clear skies gave me a pretty good look at the lakes, but we hit clouds from the northern part of the park till Anchorage so I couldn't get a look closer to town.

Default Break up?

Not even close. 16" of snow and still coming down.

Quote Originally Posted by shearej View Post
    I just flew from Dillingham to Anchorage today (April 6th) and there were no signs of ice breakup that I could see from Dillingham to Lake Clark National Park. The Nushagak looked pretty solid just upstream of Dillingham as well. Clear skies gave me a pretty good look at the lakes, but we hit clouds from the northern part of the park till Anchorage so I couldn't get a look closer to town.

Opps, meant Saturday (April 5th).

So I measured just over 9" of new snow at my house. I'm over by O'Malley on the Greens.

Jimminy Cricket!!

It will all be gone by Monday or Tuesday. It is supposed to be 45 - and by the looks of the sat. images, I believe them this time. It is about time to take the C-Dory out again. Just about went today, but I didn't want a really dirty, sloppy, disgusting boat.....

Yeah, I posted this thread on friday and it has been snowing ever since. I went skiing yesterday and on top of the mountain it was 10 degrees at 4:00pm and a lot of fresh snow. This place is wild. The Chena river is breaking up in some places. Im sure this weekend has put a damper on that.
    Mike

Default Yes it is breakup!! yeah baby!!

This little bit of snow is just more water for making mud as it will not stick.

Breakup comes fast in Fairbanks and it may reach 65* by May.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

It is not going to last long with the forecast that is out. It will be gone by 3 pm on Tuesday if the forecast is right. Winter's days are clearly numbered - all you have to do is look at the word printed on your calendar. It says APRIL......and we made it again

Quote Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
    This little bit of snow is just more water for making mud as it will not stick.
    I hope you are not a meteorologist.
    Mike

I couldn't take it anymore. I pulled the boat out into the drive where it will get some more sun on it. Will try and start getting it ready this weekend. Hope to launch next weekend for my spring trial............ SO CLOSE BUT SO FAR!!

Kuskokwim river is pretty solid still. About 4 to 5 feet of ice. and temps been this week close to zero whole week. I hope weekend is a pit wormer and spring start to come. went ptarmigan hunting this evening. got 4. But I can`t wait when river breaks up and we can go fish some trout.

Hopefully it will warm up, so I can finish getting the boat ready.. If we can by this week without any new snow fall. I think the snow will be done for the year..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Default Curious Mind Here . .

I have heard about the 'break-up'... in fact, when I was headed to AK May 1st last year, I was informed it was 'spring break-up'.... I thought it was a local term for 'spring break!'

And, I have heard about the lottery. . . curious, though, what is the defining moment for the time to be declared?
    Just trying to learn!

Thanks!
    Doc

Break-up last year and seeming to be this year have been pretty slow. Not the quick melt of some years that really makes things a mess. That being said, I am ready for a little green around town! I would also like to get out and run the boat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast