Thread: Tidal Pools?

Default Tidal Pools?

Didn't know where else to put this, but I'm looking for some tidal pools to take my kids to. Those were my favorites as a kid in Northern California and would hope to share some of the wonder. I'm in Wasilla and know I'm going to have to drive. Any help?

H2Oasis in Anchorage off from O'Malley.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Fishkill View Post
    Didn't know where else to put this, but I'm looking for some tidal pools to take my kids to. Those were my favorites as a kid in Northern California and would hope to share some of the wonder. I'm in Wasilla and know I'm going to have to drive. Any help?
    The best tidal pools I've seen in Southcentral Alaska are in western Prince William Sound, and they required a boat to get to.

Not many in places like Seward or Valdez because they're at the head of the bays and are mostly gravel beaches.

Cook Inlet? Nope. Mostly mud, unless you're talking about the south side of Kachemak Bay.

Maybe get on the ferry at Homer and go to Seldovia. It wouldn't be that expensive (especially if you don't bring a vehicle), there might be a few tidal pools within walking distance right there in the bay, and it's a beautiful little town to see, anyway.

the tidal pools around clam gulch and ninilchik aren't great, but during negative low tides there is some relatively cool stuff to see. if you drive down the beach and find some structure (rocks), looking on and around them you'll find lots of muscles, snails, clams, hermit crabs, sea anemones, and even some small fish. if they dig a little they'll find worms and clams and shells and small fish and other stuff too. It's not like Nor Cal, but if you look close and in the right spot, there's acually quite a bit of life.... go on a minus tide to get the best results... an hour or two before slack low.
    www.akfishology.com

fishing isn't about life or death... it's more important than that.

Thumbs up tide pools

without a boat the best spot i know is between diamond creek and bishops beach just north of homer. park at diamond creek and walk about a mile to the beach, then towards homer. start your walk a couple hours or more before low slack, then continue down the beach to homer. it is about 6.5 miles total to bishops beach. you can leave the family ar two sisters bakery while you hitch back to the car. the best tidepooling is right under the high bluff below the overlook.
    we have done this hike every spring since our son was 2.
    there are some good tide pools across the bay in jakolof, china poot and petersen bays but you will need to hire a taxi if you don't have a boat.
    nothing like northern california though!
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

the far side of kachemak bay have some cool stuff. I think I remember tide pooling in seward when I was little I don't quite remeber where though... Out towards lowell point maybe?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Homer

I second the Bishop's Beach recommendation. We visit Homer every year during one of the low summer tides. Its our annual clam harvest. There are many places to go across the bay, but Bishops is fine if your intoa little hike. If your kids are little and the hike is too much, one place that we usually spend a couple hours tide pooling is just behind the salmon pond on the spit. During a big low tide, you will find hundreds of sea stars, little crabs, and little eel fish out by the edge of the surf. There are so many, you have to be careful where you step. My girls always have fun there.

Hiker

That's what I was looking for. Thanks a lot for all the help.

We had some cool little tide pools just outside our door at a place we stayed last year in Ketchikan. It was south of town by a few miles.

Nice pictures. Thanks.

Go to homer and take the ferry to seldovia, there are a few tidal pools around there