Thread: spring 'bou

Default spring 'bou

Anyone got good advice for hunting spring 'bou off the Haul Road?

I'm headed up on 4/10 with some friends, mushing five miles in and setting up a wall tent somewhere well north of Coldfoot...

I need to return via charter air outta Coldfoot on 4/18 while my friends get to stay and hunt longer... they live in Fairbanks, I live in Seward.

The charter air service I'll be using has given me a 40lb weight limit, with a 90 cent penalty per pound over... needless to say, I wanna keep it down to the bear essentials...

also, I've never been on a serious caribou hunt before but have been looking forward to this opportunity for awhile. just looking for any advice to help maximize my success!

thanks!

that sounds awesome mushing into a caribou hunt is how it should be! have fun!

don't skimp on gear, 90 cents a pound isn't that much compared to being realitively comfortable.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default gear

take up what you need fly back with the 40 lbs and have your buddies send the remaining ak airlines freight or northern air cargo. You are going to want some meat sent if you are sucessful.

Default two days and counting...

thanks for the advice...

anyone got any info on stalking techniques for 'bou?

I've got my 30-06 dialed in at 300yds but would like to get closer if I can.

also, does anyone know of any sources (like biologists and researchers) that would be willing to share info about herd migrations???

thanks again.