Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear down!

Default Bear down!

Heres a post from over at Trapperman. Thought many here would enjoy!
    The guys checked the den yesterday and found tracks coming out of the den. Two sets one coming back and one not!
    They began following it in pretty thick alder. At one point turn back and went ahead on snowmachine to see if he had made a clearing. He hadn't. They pursued on and at one point bent down to miss an alder and when he came up the bear was 30 yards away just getting up from a bed it had made by hollowing out a spot in the snow. He then ripped up a dead tree and lined the bed with rotten wood and layed in it.
    Young male. 350 -400 lbs I would guess. I came home to a note that said bear down! Want to go get it? We left around midnight with the crossfox sled of mine and pulled it out. Got back at 3am.

The den was still real dry inside so water did not push him out. Seems early as it is nasty here.

Here's the before.
    I got a couple of new teachers into trapping last year. A couple of weeks ago they were following a set of lynx traps and saw where it went by a hole. They investigated and thought they saw what looked like a bear inside. They came all excited and discussed all the options for find out further. They thought it was a black bear. I had a small tripod that fits on a branch or pipe with velcro and they put that on a long pipe and put he camera on a timer. It took a few trips until they got things figured out. Seems right at about noon you can look in the den and observe him quite well. However the photos were dark. A forced flash really captured it well. After about 4 photos/video shoots each of which progressed with a further invasion into the den they have what I think is an absolutely amazing photo. Considering they are only about 7 feet from the bear.

This didn't happen on the first attempt. It was after repeated visits and monitoring the bear and its behavior that they saw that they could get away with it. It show no aggressive tendencies.
    They do have griz tags, it is open season and they are packin big guns at all times. They had three back up guns on the hole for the first few trips.
    And quite frankly would probably love to have the excuse to use them. But for now are enjoying the show. They have some great videos as well.
    The bear sits with it eyes open looking very sleepy and content to just stay put.

If you look at the photo you can see the claw marks on the back of the den where he clawed the den out.

Question is how will the bear progress when it starts to come out. Will it stay at the den or near by for a few days, a week? Any guess.
    I can probably upload some of the video if people are interested enough.
    Pretty darn cool!

Wow, those are amazing pictures of the bear in the den. I won't call them stupid too, as I wasn't there, but man...I don't think I would be crawling into a bear den, regardless of the gun I was carrying. Pretty darn cool, though. Thanks for sharing!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Wow, those are amazing pictures of the bear in the den. I won't call them stupid too, as I wasn't there, but man...I don't think I would be crawling into a bear den, regardless of the gun I was carrying. Pretty darn cool, though. Thanks for sharing!
    The Natives have been doing it that way for years; early on with spears, not guns! There is a video series called Make Prayers to the Raven and they video a bear party. The guys do the same thing Steve and his buddies did; except in the video they're hunting black bears and with a lever gun in the Koyukuk region.

Tim

BTW, excellent story and photos Trailblazer! Sounds exhillerating!

Tim

Default Neat

Really neat. Living in the bush is a lot of fun.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Thumbs up Very nice

Pretty amazing photos. I would love to find a den. I have been poking around the last couple weeks trying to find one. Maybe, just maybe I will find one.

Those are some great pictures.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by tccak71 View Post
    The Natives have been doing it that way for years; early on with spears, not guns! There is a video series called Make Prayers to the Raven and they video a bear party. The guys do the same thing Steve and his buddies did; except in the video they're hunting black bears and with a lever gun in the Koyukuk region.....
    A video set?

I gotta' have it!

"Make Prayers to the Raven" was the best anthropology book I've ever read.

Is the video made by Richard Nelson?

WOW!!!

Thanks for sharing those pictures.

Congrat's on your early bear as well!

Taylor

That is just about the coolest thing I have seen in a long time! Thanks for showing this to us!!
    EricL

Way to go! Thumbs up on the photos and the kill. Please load that video up!!!!!

Thanks for the pictures and the story. They were so interesting. I forwarded a copy to my friends. These were the first pictures of a hibernating bear that I recall seeing.

Thumbs up Nice!

Please post any more photos and video you have. That is the coolest thing that I've seen in a long while! Thanks so much.

Default Awesome Pics!

Hey love the pics, never seen pictures of a bear hibernating either!!

Default Great pictures!

That is awesome to see! If you have more, I'd love to see them.

Default Video Video Video

sweet pics man!!!!! I would love to see the vid.

Default Bear Down

Congrats on the bear!! & Very sweet pics!!

Great pics! I, too, would like to see the video. Looks like he is already rubbed?
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Very nice story and photos. Can you tell us the gun calibers used?

Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast