Thread: 45/70 question

Default 45/70 question

If you had $200 bucks to spend on updating a Marlin 45/70 what would you do? And if you lived in anchorage where would you get the work done?

I'm thinking of new sights with that fibreoptics so it's bright.
    Trigger work.

Pretty much it.
    Any ideas are welcome!! I am not that experienced a gun person. I've always owned and used stock guns. So b/c of that I don't know squat about gunsmithing or options. Thank you very much.

Mold and a lead pot.

45-70 is one of those calibers that screams cast for me. Can't you hear it, there it is again. You just got a new mold last month.

Necessities: 1. Recoil Pad. 2. New Trigger. That about covers your $200. There are custom Marlins at the Sportsman Show

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

I have to agree with Beer:30 on that one! Spend you $200 on casting equipment and reloading components and go have fun. If its a Guide Gun, I would probably change out the sights and in my opinion the Brockman sights are the most rugged. The triggers on mine are not bad enough that I have bothered to do anything with them. The WWG Bear Proof ejector is not a bad mod. although I seriously doubt that it is really nessisary.

Go forth and sling lead!
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Thanks! I thougth about casting myself and will look into doing re-loading and casting.
    I don't mind the Kick of mine really so not sure if a recoil pad is needed. I've only shot a couple hunred rounds mostly at 320 grain though. Come to think of it some of the really hot bullets might need a pad. Something to think about.

Mine isn't the guide gun it's the "long" rifle. Only 3 inches longer than the guide gun though.

Thanks for the help.

Hey! If I look thru this empty beer bottle, I think I can see Russia from here!!!

One more thing that you might consider that wont cost you much at all, is to pack the action full of fine pollishing compound (not the super gritty stuff) and kick back in your recliner while you work the action about a thousand times. This will go along ways in "slicking up" your Marlin. If you going into the cowboy action kind of thing, Power Custom sells reduced power spring kits that are like $10 and not very hard to install. They are reported to smooth up the feel of the action and also reduce trigger pull weight. Probably would not use them for a bear defense gun, but would give it a try on a hunting rifle. If the hammer ends up being too light, you can always put the original spring back in. There is also a couple of companies selling large loop levers for the Marlins and they work pretty well for guys with really big hands or for winter use with gloves. I think they go for around $150 but am not sure. WWG sells an aftermarket trigger but I have no experience with it. and there are also a couple of companies selling replacement magazine plungers maid out of stainless or aluminum to replace the red plastic one that comes with it from the factory. Again, not really nessisary in my opinion, but some guys swear by them.

I think that about covers it........... just not allot of add-on's for the Marlins.

Good luck.
    “You’ve gotten soft. You’re like one of those police dogs who’s released in to the wild and gets eaten by a deer or something.” Bill McNeal of News Radio

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post
    If you had $200 bucks to spend on updating a Marlin 45/70 what would you do? And if you lived in anchorage where would you get the work done?

Trigger work.

Pretty much it.
    Any ideas are welcome!! I am not that experienced a gun person. I've always owned and used stock guns. So b/c of that I don't know squat about gunsmithing or options. Thank you very much.
    I'm in the same boat you are and narrowed my shopping list down to: 1.Big loop lever 2.Ghost ring sights

Default Brockman Rifles

Check out Brockman Rifles for Marlin lever doo-dads , he sells a great lever for gloved use .

Quote Originally Posted by logman View Post
    Check out Brockman Rifles for Marlin lever doo-dads , he sells a great lever for gloved use .
    WOW I thought WWG's like there products a lot I'm glad I bought my lever at the show.

If it were mine, I'd change the factory sights for a set of XS aperture sights, a WWG Bearproof extractor and ejector, a Trigger Happy kit and a Limbsaver pad. I'm undecided about the lever.
    Now what ?

Default Sights/pad

I would put a better recoil pad on it and install a XS Sight Systems Peep sight and their front post with the white line. You can do this yourself.

Default Got the XS Ghost ring sights for sale, if needed.

I actually took mine off in favor of a 1-4 power Leupold. Just prefer it scoped, personally. I'll make you a good deal if you want them, they've been sitting on the shelf in the package since late 2005...PM me.

IceKing02

Quote Originally Posted by Akbrownsfan View Post

Trigger work.

Pretty much it.
    I looked at the williams sights with the fiberoptics on-line and had more questions than I originaly started out with.

What color of fiber optics do most prefer, red or green or is there any other choice for a the brightest sight picture available.

The other question is for the 1895 guide guns which series would be the best and are there any out there that do not require the drilling on the receiver to fit the nicer peep sights out there? I believe the wwg in los-anchorage has the better fitment for the no-drill but are there others which anyone would consider? Are the williams with the drilling required the better outfit? If you do have peep sights which ones do you have and if you had to do it over what route would you take? Thanks in advance.

The May 2008 issue of Rifle Magazine has an article on updating the Marlin Guide Gun. Appears the article would answer a number of your questions. Also would consider taking IceKing02 up on his offer. Good luck.

bullshop junior

My dad has a firat year (B00). The only thing he did was a recoil pad, and a lyman recever sight. I whould not change any thing on that gun.
    BIC/Daniel/BS Jr.

Get the WWG's ghost ring with Williams Firesight and Bear proof ejector, thats should take care of your $200.

I just ordered a xs sight set for mine but was wondering who in the interior is capable of slicking up the action and trigger a bit?

To answer the original poster's question, in Anchorage, I'd go to Wild West Guns and talk to Kenny. I have a couple of guns that that have had work done on them there, and he's always treated us right.

My Guide Gun was tricked out with most of WWG's offerings, and if I had to choose just one, I'd go with their trigger kit as the best single upgrade it has. It makes a huge difference over the sloppy stock trigger. The sights are pretty nice also, but I wouldn't say they are any better than any of the other ghost rings on the market. The bear proof ejector is mostly for peace of mind, since I've read several accounts of the stock ejector failing while out in the field over on the Marlin owners forum.

Default Definately a ghost ring!

I have an 1895 which I sunk a bit too much into. I have a nice aperture sight set forward of the reciever to act as a great adjustable diameter ghost ring (great field of vision), and it is a bit more protected than on the rear of the reciever. I like the large loop lever, but have yet to make that upgrade. I put a ceracote job on mine, and it offers undeniable protection, for a stiff price, (may just want to upgrade to stainless). Additionally the cerakote really took up a lot of slop in the action, made it cycle quieter and smoother, and even made my wallet more size efficient.

Default Blasphemous - I know...

$50 on a set of Talley Rings/bases and $150 on a Nikon or similiar 2x7 'Shotgun' scope.

My guide gun shoots MOA (only levergun i've owned ever to do so) for 5 shots consistently with 350gr Hornady, or 405gr Rem Jacketed bullets.

Looks funny to have a scope with that little 18" bbl, but I'm not much of a shot with open sights and it seems like wasted potential not to put glass on there.

Nate