Thread: Current fishing? as in now?

Default Current fishing? as in now?

Has anyone gone fishing yet in fresh water not ice? Wondering if Willow is ice free yet?
    I know cambell creek here in Anchorage is ice free, and the lakes are starting to lose ice. I know I can't wait to catch some itty bitty trout!.

Anyway I started this thread to get us to talk about fishing RIGHT NOW. So any ideas/stories/reports let us know.

Thanks!!

Default Right Now

Heard there hitting at the Fish Pond near the Sullivan Arena.

I might head to the trailrace tonight looking for dollies. or to the mouth of 20 mile to se if they are waiting on the hooligan to show up. I have put away the ice fishing gear and dusted off the open water rigs. It is spring!!!
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Default Lots of ice left in Willow area

I fished for pike in the Nancy Lake Rec area last Saturday. There were lots of pike biting and lots of ice to drill through. At least 2 feet thick. It will be a few weeks before open water around there.

Thanks!! That is what I was hoping for. I heard about the good fishing at the sullivan myself.

Like the idea of the tailrace as that water has to be open. I've caught trout there when the kings weren't biting (or there period).

Thanks for the update on redshirt too! I was wondering about the valley lakes. Some of the shallow ones here in town are icing out at the inflow/outflow already.

2 weeks a go I was fishing the open lead at chester creek. I didnt catch anything but it sure was fun to cast a lure instead of sitting and jigging. If you head towards Kenai I hear that the bows are biteing in the upper river and a little futher south you might find a few steelhead.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

I caught a 20 incher last year at that spot on chester! Right under the bridge.

Default drove to homer

I went to homer last weekend at fished Caribou lake. Both Anchor and Ninlchik were still frozed over.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    Both Anchor and Ninlchik were still frozed over and closed till may anyway
    fixed it for you
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Kenai pen, in summer. Matsu vally in winter

Drove out to willow yesterday there was still snowmachine tracks on willow creek but i did see two small open leads. another two weeks i bet..

Quote Originally Posted by motorboatn View Post
    I went to homer last weekend at fished Caribou lake. Both Anchor and Ninlchik were still frozed over.
    Frozed over?

I think the correct term is "unthawed"

(Just ribbin' ya...)

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think Ninlchik and Anchor closed until may?
    Fixed it for you. Reworded it to get the message across without sounding condescending.
    Finally, Brad Childress is GONE!

I fished 20 mile friday afternoon for dollies without much luck. And I went back th chester creek lagoon saturday and monday but I still have not caught anything in the open water. Maybe I will give it a try tomorrow with a slow drift presentation. Is anyone else out there fishing open water with success?

Quote Originally Posted by MNViking View Post
    Fixed it for you. Reworded it to get the message across without sounding condescending.
    Except I know that they are closed till may and don't like poachers.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

I talked to a guy who fished upper ship creek on sunday. He said he only fished an hour and didn't catch anything. I saw him as I was leaving alpenglow from skiing. There were three cars parked there though. I didn't get much info as I was tired from skiing.
    If nothing else comes up this weekend, I am going to try to fish somewhere. My thoughts are leaning towards.
    ship creek.
    Granite creek in Girdwood, or bird for dollies. Then try dipnetting hooligan in 20mile.
    Any lake that I find that has ice free edges.

I heard the weather is supposed to warm up again too.

Keep the news/frustrations coming!! Hopefully Garnede we'll be posting stories of 100 trout days soon!!

I fished ship creek sunday below the **** at the base gate. Worked about a mile of stream with no luck. Water was very low but so clear. After the snow, when the sun broke it was just a great afternoon our on the water. Nobody around either. Ill hit it again this weekend maybe the upper around the golf course and then work my way down to the commerical district. Sooner or later they will start hitting but again it was so dang nice to be on the water in a half warm sunny sunday
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Is the tide backing up massive chunks of ice at the boat launch at 20 mile? I'm hoping to get my boat on that river or Knik this weekend. How's the boat launch? Is it launchable?

There might be a good video in store for you guys if I get on the water this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Is the tide backing up massive chunks of ice at the boat launch at 20 mile? I'm hoping to get my boat on that river or Knik this weekend. How's the boat launch? Is it launchable?

There might be a good video in store for you guys if I get on the water this weekend.
    The launch at the bridge was open as of last weekend. There was still a lot of ice; I don't know how far you'd make it as I didn't drive the Old Glenn. It is still very early.....

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post

The launch is ice free but the tide is floating big chunks of ice up river at a prety good pace. The ice blocks I saw were 10'-15' wide and 12-18" thick. I think those could do some damagewhen they are floating in the current. You might try launching on the falling tide, once most of the ice chunks are by.