Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which town/charter for Halibut/Salmon charter?

Default Which town/charter for Halibut/Salmon charter?

Sounds like Seward is best for a combo halibut / salmon charter. Any recommendations for charters there? Would Homer or Deep Creek be better?

Thanks,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by MikeStaten View Post
    Sounds like Seward is best for a combo halibut / salmon charter. Any recommendations for charters there? Would Homer or Deep Creek be better?

Thanks,
    Mike

I think any of the 3 you listed would be great. Seward is far more scenic than Deep Creek. Homer and Deep Creek are more likely to have sunshine. Homer is a gem, but a long, long drive.... However, Deep Creek may have the closest in fishing of the 3. As you can tell, I like all three. I think you should try each and get back to us

HOMER IS PRETTY HARD TO BEAT...CHECK OUT WWW.JUSTALASKA.NET AND VIEW THE WEB CAMS...

Can you do a combo salmon and halibut in Homer or is it primarily halibut? Does Homer have any protected Harbors to fish in in case of less than perfect weather?

Thanks again,
    Mike

Hello Mike, I Tell People Book One Day For Salmon And One Day For Halibut And Leave A Extra Day For A Bad Weather Day....nobody Has The Halibut Fishing That We Do But Seward Is The Silver Salmon Hot Spot, We Get Them Too But Not Like They Do...

Thumbs up Kodiak Hands Down

Running times only 45 minutes to salmon and halibut. Everyone on Kodiak does the combo trips.

Quote Originally Posted by shawn View Post
    Running times only 45 minutes to salmon and halibut. Everyone on Kodiak does the combo trips.
    If Im in Anchorage, or Homer, whats the cheapest way to get to Kodiak if I dont own my own boat?

How much (approx.) will it run me during mid-summer (June-July)?

Ive read awesome things about Kodiak, but Ive also read expensive things about getting there.

Default Ferry

Do the walk on the ferry and rent a car in Kodiak and stay at a B&B. The walk on I think is 75 dollars, rental car is about 45-55 dollars a day and a good B&B is any were from 100-150 a day vice 225.00 for a motel.

If you end up flying its about 350.00 round trip if you make reservations early enough. Be for warned, if you are coming is July/August make reservations know. Kodiak isn't like Seward or Homer where there are hundreds of charters that do walk ups, most folks usually book months in advance.

Every year people call at the last minute and are not able to get charters or are stuck with someone that is not very knowledgeable.

I have not found a boat in Kodiak that will book one or two people. Seems you need to book the whole boat or have a minimum of five people. I would be interested in finding a boat that accepts single walk ons. The prices per person are higher than deep creek and Homer.
    Last edited by Steelieguy; 04-04-2008 at 13:12. Reason: spelling

Default Seward

If you are interested, I have a buddy in Seward that does both salmon and halibut...he has been fishing out of Seward for 13 years, and has based his successful business on return clients. He just recently went with a website, *I have been hounding him for a few years on this one * www.captainmatts.com . I usually book 2-4 trips a year with him with 12-14 people at a time, and we always catch fish... Big ones as well as meat for the freezer.

He did really well last year with a 356lb and a 254 the week following. You never get a day when the captain doesn't give it 110% with this guy!

Let me know if you have any questions...
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Default Mostly True

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    I have not found a boat in Kodiak that will book one or two people. Seems you need to book the whole boat or have a minimum of five people. I would be interested in finding a boat that accepts single walk ons. The prices per person are higher than deep creek and Homer.
    While we are more expensive, so is your operating costs (diesel 4.64, regular 4.34). There are many of us that do two or three people. Personally I don't want more than 4 people, and there are several of us like that.

We don't have walk ups because we don't have the influx of tourist as does Seward and Homer. If someone relied just on walk ups, you would go broke.

Seward go with fish house and captain jimmy on the perseverance top notch guy and boat holds 15 and i think is 49ft.

Default Seward

My vote woud be Seward while fishing for halibut it is not uncomon to get yourself ling cod and yellow eye. I have gone out on trips and come in with halibut, ling, yellow eye, black seabass, and slvers.

Default Kodiak on the sly...

Using American Airline travel vouchers, the miles you give for a round-trip from the Lower 48 are the same to Kodiak as they are to Anchorage. American partners with Alaskan Airlines. They'll even give you a stopover.

What does that mean?

You can plan a main trip into Anchorage, and then pull a hop to Kodiak, and then return to Anchorage and then fly home. It takes planning, but there is no better way to do it than this one. That's exactly what I will be doing this July when I go on assignment outside of Anchorage and then continue on to Kodiak assignments, and then return to Anchorage and then fly back home to Florida.

If you are a paying passenger, you'll have to check and see if a stopover is allowed on a purchased ticket. If it is, it's one of the finest deals you can get.

Ditto to everything Shawn Gornell said about Kodiak charters. I've been on many throughout Alaska, and Kodiak's opportunity is generally superior in species and in converyance simply due to embarking from an island port.

http://www.ultimateislandadventures.com is run by Gornall and is rated top-notch. I am pleased that he is one of the outfitters I'm on assignment with this summer. If you ever wanted to make Kodiak on the sly, perhaps my advice will help...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

The truth of the matter is Kodiak is one heck of an expensive place. You will catch fish (and most likely limits) in Seward, Homer, Deep Creek, Valdez, and just about anywhere in-between and spend far fewer dollars than on the rock. It all just depends on what you want to do. And the weather usually just plain and simple sucks in Kodiak all the time. But, I agree the fishing is "closer" in, unless you count the 10 hour ferry ride, the extra plane ride, and yadda, yadda, yadda.....just to get their.

Nobody has mentioned Whittier. Am I offbase in using Whittier? The one hour drive from Anchorage sure beats Homer and Seward but if it makes that much difference I'll cancel my res. and make new ones out on the peninsula. I was trying to avoid getting up in the midddle of the night to fish in Homer. Seward would be next choice. was there in May, a few years ago and didn't get to go out since the fleet was blown out for three days. Thought I'd have better luck in PWS protected water.

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    Nobody has mentioned Whittier. Am I offbase in using Whittier? The one hour drive from Anchorage sure beats Homer and Seward but if it makes that much difference I'll cancel my res. and make new ones out on the peninsula. I was trying to avoid getting up in the midddle of the night to fish in Homer. Seward would be next choice. was there in May, a few years ago and didn't get to go out since the fleet was blown out for three days. Thought I'd have better luck in PWS protected water.
    WHittier has pretty bad halibut fishing compared to other ports, heck boats from whittier run to the same spots as boats from seward.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    WHittier has pretty bad halibut fishing compared to other ports, heck boats from whittier run to the same spots as boats from seward.
    Have to agree with that.. Unless you are willing to make a long boat trip I would go for either Seward or Homer..
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Hhounds,

That little bit of time that you saved driving by going to Whittier, is going to make for a very long boat ride getting to the fishing groups. Whittier just isn't close to the halibut. There are charters that do operate out of there, asking them what to expect would be a good place to start. Perhaps they know of some closer in places that are productive. I know of a couple, but they are not consistent by any means. Seward, Homer, and Deep Creek are good bets. I like Seward because you can fish just fine with light weights right through the tide. It takes a heck of weight to do that in Deep Creek and Homer. But then again, I use my downriggers down that way....

Default Weather and Travel

Quote Originally Posted by Hhounds View Post
    The difference in driving to Seward from Whittier *45min-hour one way* is about two-three times less than the extra boat time you will have riding out of Whittier; and don't forget the tunnel wait as well. As far as the weather, if it has Seward socked in, you may be able to get out in Homer...but I am not sure it would be enjoyable. I would bet if it is a horrible day *12' seas and above* out of Seward, then Homer/Deep wont be too far off that; although I may be wrong on this one.
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast