Thread: Pre-64 bottom metal replacement

Default Pre-64 bottom metal replacement

I need some help men.

The original alloy bottom-metal on my 1959 Pre-64 308Win is looking all of it's 50 years. So I think it's time I looked at a new trigger-guard/floor-plate, preferably steel this time.
    I see this company does a "Bow Release system" in steel, which is a little different to the original. Maybe a better design?
    http://gunloads.com/clients/william/...roducts_id=100
    "M70 Pre-64 One-Piece Assembly"

Would this bottom-metal work with my Pre-64 designed for a short-action?

Any other options out there?

Thanks in advance

Here is a piece of information that you need to know. There is no difference between the bottom metal for any of the chamberings for the pre-64 WINCHESTER model 70.

The biggest draw back for the pre-64 was the multi-piece design of the bottom metal, a one piece design gives much better results for accuracy.

Back in the day, we often saw attempts to make a one piece system out of the multi pieces.

If you will give a look at the parts diagram for the pre-64 you will note there is only one floor plate (Other than the one for the supper grade).
    The trigger guard is the same. The changes start with the magazine boxes, the ejector/bolt stop and of course the extractors. There being three, one for the hornet, one for the standard and one for the magnum.

Your wish for a one piece system is a good move on your part.

The featherweight difference was the floor plate was made of aluminum.

You can mail me your old parts.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

I bought a Oberndorf 1 piece floorplate/trigger guard for my pre-64 from Williams, what a nice piece of work! As Al mentioned the floorplate betwixt all pre-64 is the same. If Williams does these models in the 98 pattern I will buying lots more-nice stuff.

As for the 98, that would be to good to believe. I'm in the same boat with the 98's. I need over a dozen. Just like the three position safety shrouds, I would covert all of my Mausers. More than a few of these rifles were built by the top makers of their day, from the 1920's through the 1950's. That's how much better these look to me.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Thanks for the advice lads. This rifle is going to the smith tomorrow. I dare say he's going to get me a Williams one-piece floorplate, as well as other goodies