Thread: Bringing your rod to the field

Default Bringing your rod to the field

Hi guys,

Ill be in Alaska for 2 months starting in June. Anchorage will be my home base, but will do trips all the way to Valdez, Homer and Seward and many people in between. Mostly, Ill be targeting Salmon.

When I first decided to do the trip, I thought to myself: "no problem, Ill bring my 2 piece 7 foot ugly stick, and a light trout rod for pinks".

But the more I read, and the more I see pictures, the less sure I am in which rod to bring.

I read that a lot of people use 8.5 to 9 foot rods. Is that a better size to carry around?

Im just afraid that Ill have my huge medium-heavy 9 foot rod, then Ill see the russian and think, this rod is way to big for here...or any creek or river for that matter.

I mean, I saw some pics of guys fishing ship creek and it looked like it was 10 feet across in some areas.

Do you guys own 2,3,4 different rods that you bring with you for different highway spots?

I almost bought my rod today. A heavy action 8.5 foot ugly stick lite. Then I said: "Ill ask the dudes on the forum first."

Thanks...DUDES

4 piece rods are freaking awesome.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default Field Rod

Three Words:Ronco Pocket Fisherman

I bring 2 fly rods, 2 long float rods and a couple of rods to bottom bounce with. This year I may add a surf rod into the mix.
    You can never have too many rods!!!!!

Thumbs up Lots of Rod's

Dang the pocket pen fisherrod is looking great right now. As far as fly rods go., 8' to 9' 8 wt for reds, pinks and even the russian bows, (6wt for them is sweet though and I have a new 5wt im going to use real soon). I have no idea on the spinning rods or reels on them but if i had to pick 1 rod it would be my 9' 8wt it is a 2 piece and it is just average rod but for the last 10 years it has never let me down.

Dude, Wheres the fish??????
    Last edited by alaskachuck; 04-03-2008 at 20:57. Reason: Forgot the dude thing
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    I bring 2 fly rods, 2 long float rods and a couple of rods to bottom bounce with. This year I may add a surf rod into the mix.
    You can never have too many rods!!!!!
    Thats what I was thinking! I was at the tackle shop today, and I was looking for a carrying case for the rods. The rep kept asking me: Why do you need 3 rods again?

So, its not crazy to bring 3 rods. You do the trip every year so I trust your advice.

I think Im gonna bring a 9 foot heavy ugly, 7 foot medium, 6 foot light. Im just going to bring all three to every river I hit, in case Im surprised with a different species than I expected.

My bro is sending my gigantic surf rod to me when I get there. Thats a 10 foot PVC pipe.

I guess that'll but me at 4.

Quote Originally Posted by alaskachuck View Post
    Dang the pocket pen fisherrod is looking great right now. As far as fly rods go., 8' to 9' 8 wt for reds, pinks and even the russian bows, (6wt for them is sweet though and I have a new 5wt im going to use real soon). I have no idea on the spinning rods or reels on them but if i had to pick 1 rod it would be my 9' 8wt it is a 2 piece and it is just average rod but for the last 10 years it has never let me down.
    Hey Chuck,

yeah, unfortunately I dont fly fish. I will learn, but so far Ive never put the time in. I guess its the same whether its fly or spin; you need an assortment of them!

Thanks

Default true true

If i was not using just a fly rod anymore (im looking at some of my older spinning rods and reels now) I would have to bring 3 rods. The wife and I bring our 5, 7, 8 wt for me and 6, 7 and 9 for her. It is all about the choice for sure. My spinning rods for Reds are around 8' and 8 wt. I have no so called river trout spinning rods but i have so spinning rods for the small lakes and they are ultra light with 4lb test. Then again this is the same guy who's wife counted my trout beads yesterday and asked "do you know you have 374 beads of all sizes and color?" I looked at her with a puzzled luck " Oh s#$% Im down to 374???? I got to get to the store soon!" Of to the river tomorrow night and playing all weekend.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

Learn from my mistakes. Never go fishing with just one rod! I don't know if its me or the fish, but I've broken more rods in the five years that I have lived here than ever in my life. Thank goodness for warranties! Spend the extra money for the peace of mind.
    Ben

Quote Originally Posted by bstacy1974 View Post
    Learn from my mistakes. Never go fishing with just one rod! I don't know if its me or the fish, but I've broken more rods in the five years that I have lived here than ever in my life. Thank goodness for warranties! Spend the extra money for the peace of mind.
    Ben
    Yeah thats a darn good idea and great advice.

If Im on the bank of a river, with a broken rod, no fish, and everyone around me is catching...How much would I pay to get a rod at that very moment??

an extra $10,20, 50 100???

I imagined myself in that situation and thats why Im thinking 3 rods would be good. I gotta find a good, light weight carrying case.

I think gun cases are better. They are lighter and hold more rods. 2 piece of course.

Default Transit to the stream...

Here's a couple of tips that will help you greatly with your rod movements while in AK.

Buy some of the mini-bungee cords; they are excellent for bundling rods together.

When you walk with rods (especially if they are assembled with reels attached) carry them butt first.

Identifying your rods is one thing, dealing with them is another...

http://www.alaskanauthor.com

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    My bro is sending my gigantic surf rod to me when I get there. Thats a 10 foot PVC pipe.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$

Quote Originally Posted by DRIFTER_016 View Post
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$
    Im just kidding on the 10ft pvc.

Its a 2 piece and fits in one of those mailing tubes.

3 should do you, When I go fishing I carry any where from 3-7 rods with me. 2 light weight at 6' and 6'6, 1 medium 8', 2 med-heavy 9', a 12' surf rod and an 8wt 9' fly rod. Rivers, regs, beaches, fish present, and boat (or not) go into deciding which to bring.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/