Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel for an 8wt

Default Reel for an 8wt

Recommend me a reel for an 8 wt!

how much money do you have?
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Money tis not an issue bad I'd rather keep it under $300.

Go talk to Brad...

Ross, Able, Tibor, Hayden... They are all really really good, I'm partial to ross myself.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Yeah I've got a Ross Cimmaron on my 5wt. Was thinking about trying the Evolution on an 8wt.

I've got several and Ross is still my "Go To' reel in most cases.

Thumbs up

I've been using a Redington RS-2 8wt and especially like the service I have gotten from the mfg. After two heavy years use on Kings and Sockeye the drag started to get a little iffy. Contacted Redington two weeks before my next trip. They asked me to send them the reel and $10 and they would rebuild it. I told them that I was leaving too soon to send it in and they sent me a rebuild kit with all the parts I needed and more for no charge!! I love a mfg. who stands behind their product and goes that extra mile for the customer. And for $160 it is a great performer, it's no Billy Pait but it's not $1400 either.

TL

Default Plenty of choices

Much good advice above. Under $300, you'll find plenty of choices. Among reels sold widely in area flyshops, I would add Galvan, Tibor and Lamson to the list. Even Orvis makes reels that have made best gear lists. Try some reels if you live near fly shops. Talk to the experts there, who prob will agree with most of what's recommended on this thread. Once you get down to the top makes, folks pick reels for personal preference - such as the sound of the drag clicker (or not). Pick one you like.

I agree with Tight Lines above too - a Redington I bought to have as extra for family fly fishing trip - turned out to be a sturdy performer. If I was buying reels all over again - and buying only for myself, I'd go with Ross, or maybe Sage-for craftsmanship and Ak-proven durability. I've had two other brands fail, but none mentioned in this thread. Good luck!

Default Ross Reels

I'd check into the Ross "Rhythm" series. Great reel with efficient drag system and falls within your proposed budget. I've been using one and haven't had a single issue. Extra spool allows me to switch from 8wt to a 6wt quickly.

Good Luck!
    www.matsuexpeditions.com - Alaskan Wilderness Fishing & Rafting

Bring your rod to the flyshop and see what balances out your rod the best. I'm pretty fond of the Galvan reels.

definitly look into a large arbor, it will make a difference. I have been happy with Ross and Galvan. Taking your rod in is good advice, see what fits it best and get their advice on reels.

American Classic

to be honest i have an 80 dollar okuma and its the best reel I've ever used. The drag works great. I've caught hundreds of silvers and reds with it. Also hauled in my fair share of 28+ inch rainbows on it and the drag is still holding strong. Maybe I'm just a cheapo though lol.

Quote Originally Posted by griff View Post
    to be honest i have an 80 dollar okuma and its the best reel I've ever used. The drag works great. I've caught hundreds of silvers and reds with it. Also hauled in my fair share of 28+ inch rainbows on it and the drag is still holding strong. Maybe I'm just a cheapo though lol.
    I've also had good luck with their reels in the past. Not bad for the price. Not the smoothest drag by a long shot, but tuff and dependable. When I ended up in Southeast though, the saltwater killed my old one in less than three months even with FW rinsing. A sealed drag is the only way to go here. Lifetime warrenties are good too.

Default Scientific Anglers

Another option would be a System 2 from Scientific Anglers; probably around $175 or so. I've got one on my 9 weight and it's caught a buncha silvers and chums...no Kings yet, though)

I use a Sage 3300D and a Lamson V3 for coho, in salt and fresh water. They both have excellent durability, and smooth operation. Of the two, I lean a little toward the Sage because of its wide arbor. And both are basically maintenance free.

Barrie

Lamson just came out with a new series of reels with some excellent pricing to go with them. I've read some great reviews on them and am looking at the Konic 4 for my 9W Loomis.

kingfisherktn

New for 2008, Konic delivers smart design and high performance in Lamson's most affordable reel. The same super-smooth, fully sealed conical drag system and stainless roller clutch used in our more expensive reels are matched with machined components and pressure cast ALDC12 aluminum alloy spool and frame. Konic is anodized then finished with a 100% solid polyurethane coating to resist gouging and abrasion. Affordable reels just got a whole lot better.

Model Diameter Width Weight Rod Wt. Line Capacity Reel Cost Spool Cost
    KONIC 1.5 3.10" 1.00" 4.40 oz 3,4 WF4 100 yds 12# $119 $60
    KONIC 2 3.40" 1.10" 4.70 oz 5,6 WF6 100 yds 20# $129 $65
    KONIC 3.5 3.70" 1.22" 6.90 oz 7,8 WF8 200 yds 20# $139 $70
    KONIC 4 3.90" 1.25" 8.00 oz 9,10 WF10 240 yds 30# $149 $75

Default Reel

All the posts area great and have truth to them. Other factors to also keep in mind are if you would like a reel to handle light and heavy fish drag is not the only factor. Like CMO1977 said look at large arbor and weight will be a definit factor too. Casting a reel that is not machined and is casted gets heavy after a while. $300 uis not chicken feed and opens a lot of options except higher end models. Get a reel with a sturdy drag, light weight and hyold senough line for what you are going after. Good luck and hit the fly shops because that is half the fun.

fish on.

I have been hearing some good things about the new Lamson Konic reels. I might pick one up for a backup, they are very reasonably priced.

Lamson Radius on sale at MRFC.com for $99.95 or a 10 wt on sale for $114.95. Wright and Mcgill Reliance 7/8 on sale at B&J's for $120 and it's one heck of a good reel.

$340 for an American Classic anti reverse at Mountain View. Best reel I own. U.S. made in Utah and built like a tank. I should add that I'm selling a Billy Pate on Ebay now because it doesn't hold a candle to my American classic and it cost $200 more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast