Thread: Shooting ranges good to go

Default Shooting ranges good to go

This might be old news but I was just listening to Joe Navah's Shooters Corner on the radio and he said the state went ahead with the funding for the ranges. Good news.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Quote Originally Posted by Snyd View Post
    This might be old news but I was just listening to Joe Navah's Shooters Corner on the radio and he said the state went ahead with the funding for the ranges. Good news.

Where? It is new news to me. I have heard nothing about it.
    "You have given out too much reputation in the last 24 hours, try again later".

Thanks, Perry. That is good news. I had just heard that last night. It would have had a severe impact on ranges in the state. We in Fairbanks are one of the two lucky cities that have nice indoor ranges and I for one am very appreciative of them. I missed Joe's shooters corner today but he's always on top of things. He also is very much appreciated and a great asset to this community.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Ya, Joe has quite a reputation and is definitely on top of the shooting scene here in Fairbanks. He does Eddy Eagle and lots of other stuff. My wife is taking his women's handgun shooting class this weekend as a matter of fact.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

So what is the range funding for ?

The range funding is to keep the state run ranges open next year. At one point in the last couple weeks there was talk in the legislature of state funding for the indoor ranges in Fairbanks and Juneau and Rabbit Creek Range in Anchorage to be cut from the budget.
    NRA Life Member, Prior F-16 crew chief.

Default rifle range

A little off topic but still applies I think...

Is there a rifle range close to fairbanks? I used to go out to the one on CHSR but it a little far just for an evening to shoot the rifle. Ive heard there is one at the end of South Cushman but Ive not been out there to check it out myself.

byrd

Default State Funding?

Not to be cynical, but why state funding of the ranges? I've only been to Rabbit Creek, but always pay $8 or $9 to go shoot there. I always figured that was how it was funded?

The one at the end of South Cushman is awesome. It is an example of what the state should be funding.

The one on the end of South Cushman is getting out of controll also. Alot of the people out there have no respect for the other people. I do not like taking my boys out their anymore because of all the crap that goes on at the range.

Prime example: I went to shoot my new rifle their a week or so ago. I was set up on my table and ready to start shooting when a group of several guys showed up. The range was pretty full that day also. Anyway they start shooting skeet and shooting pistol into the ground 15 feet away. They were throwing and shooting skeet across other peoples lanes and several times they were standing behind the tables shooting. Not to save in my book when your swing a 12ga from side to side. Anyway I say something to them and they act like I'm the *****. I picked my stuff up and left with out shooting my new rifle. Its a shame I have had this new 416 Rigby since Dec. and have not been able to shoot it.

I would have dialed the troopers myself.

---------

Worst case I had was at the pistol side of the Cushman range.

I was shooting my pistol slow fire one shot every five seconds or so. I fire about the fourth shot off and this gal just walks out onto the range I guess she thought she could set her target in under 5 seconds.

I yelled out "what are you doing?" she ignored me but her boyfriend gave her a little talking to when she came back.

------

I have had a lot of fun there too.

I was shooting at a bullet riddled propane tank at about 50 yards or so with my 45 auto. Putting dents in it like it already had a hundred of. I pulled out my 45-70 and shot it once with a 600 grain barnes at 1100FPS and a cloud of steam bursts up about 30' into the air and made a giant white cloud. Apparantly every one had been hitting it with pistols that had not penetrated it. My bullet went through and through. I had everyones attention at the range. Everyone was laughing. There were only about 20 people there as it was -20 or something like that.