Thread: Swarovski Quality

Default Swarovski Quality

Well I received my new Swaro. ATS spotter from Sportsmans Warehouse last week and I was very excited as I've always dreamed of good quality glass. I put it all together on my tripod and what do I see in the view? A bubble in the glass!!! I was shocked to say the least. I never thought a company like that would let something like that through.

As much as I tried to wipe it off I couldn't so I called S.W. and will return it the next time I'm up there. I' m very impressed w/ S.W.'s prices and their service. Top notch all the way.

Luckily I don't need the scope till August for my DCUA sheep permit.

Just an FYI.............

Dave

When you take it back ...trade it for the Zeiss!

A buddy got one last year for his TMA sheep hunt and it was defective as well, except his defect didn't show up till he was glassing sheep on day one of the hunt...ouch! He did send it back when he got back and they fixed it but didn't do much for first impressions of the most expensive piece of glass he's ever owned.

Default Bubble in optical glass

I had the same experience when I bought my first Nikon camera nearly 40 years ago. When I checked around I found that small bubbles were not uncommon in the better camera lenses - it seemd that the bubbles were almost unavoidable in the higher quality refractive glass and actually something of a hallmark.

If the bubble is very small it has no measureable effects as the area is very samll compared to the entire lense. It maybe a tradeoff for the quality of the glass and coatings - I won't get too excited about ti myself.

Quote Originally Posted by standdup View Post
    Well I received my new Swaro. ATS spotter from Sportsmans Warehouse last week and I was very excited as I've always dreamed of good quality glass. I put it all together on my tripod and what do I see in the view? A bubble in the glass!!! I was shocked to say the least.
    Dave
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Default compare it

I spent time comparing each spotter on day in Sportsman and to my eye, the Leica was the best of the swarovski, zeiss, and Leica. I do know that all of our eyes are different so it is good to compare. I compared my steiner binocs to my buddies zeiss and there was no comparison, the zeiss were WAY better. I recently bought the top of the line pentax and they are a lot better than the steiners also. I think it is best to try out different glass and see what fits you the best.