Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Black Rockfish??

Default Black Rockfish??

Are these rockfish good eating...or just a lot of fun catching on light gear? Are there some good spots around Sitka after the salmon fishing is done for the day? Are the limits typically less or more than salmon?

Thanks

they are good eating and they generally hang in shallow enough water you can release them unharmed and only keep bigger ones to help keep the populaitons strong.
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

THEY ARE GREAT EATING...WRAP THE FILLETS IN FOIL WITH A LITTLE BUTTER AND THEN PUT FRESH BLUE CHEESE DRESSING ON THEM ITS TO KILL FOR....POWDER MONKEY IS RIGHT...LET THE BIG ONES GO THEY ARE OLD FISH...GAME AND FISH PUT OUT SOME FLIERS HOW OLD SOME OFTHOSE ROCKFISH ARE AND I WAS SHOCKED.....

I think that AKPM and BYB are saying different things with regards to which ones to keep and which ones to release.

They do take a long long time to get sizeable. Fishing them shallow will allow you to release them - and they will have a better chance to live than if you take them from the deep water and their air sacks are popping out of their mouth.

Because the fillets are so small, I generally use rockfish in fish stew. Tasty fish. Pain to clean. Can't figure out how in the world lings can eat those things with all those spines.

There is NOTHING better than beer batter rockfish - unless it's beer battered lingcod . . or beer battered halibut . . .or . . guess we're having fish tonite!

Cheers,

SH

YUCK....

They are a disgusting fish, don't bother! Tastes like plywood.

Send all your frozen fillets (perferably vacume sealed) to me so I can properly dispose of them...I wouldn't want anyone in the forum to get ill.
    Combat Vet by choice! Defender of this great nation and people (Which unfortunately also includes the stupid and the ignorant.)

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:_R_ZqAiK-e_U0M:<a href=http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/hockey/ARCTICLIONS/Ice_Puppies_Logo_Light_with_shading.jpg target=_blank rel=nofollow>http://hometeamsonline.com/photos/ho...th_shading.jpg</a>

Support Youth Hockey!
    http://www.hometeamsonline.com/teams...Y&s=hockey&t=c

Quote Originally Posted by Sierra Hotel View Post
    There is NOTHING better than beer batter rockfish - unless it's beer battered lingcod . . or beer battered halibut
    Actually, I think that beer battered rockfish is far superior to halibut. Halibut is better for baking (rockfish turn rubbery if cooked slowly), but deep-fried rockfish blows halibut out of the water!

Default Battered

Concur Rock Bass rule over Halibut for deep fat fry...

Thanks for all the info!

What kind of tackle is the most fun to catch them with? Lures?

I hear you want to try casting near kelp beds??

Beer batter fish n chips...sounds awesome!

Default Catching Rock Bass

I like Darts, if fishing shallow single hook, if fishing deep (which means you are keeping them) trebble hook. 4-6oz are good, color doesn't seem to matter much when you find them but I normally go for a light green, pink, or white.

Black Rockfish?
    Wndshr, are you asking about Black Bass, or just rockfish in general?
    Black bass can be caught in shallower water, often right on the surface if you see the schools of them on the top of the water. A lot of people don't think they have much value, but as people on this thread are indicating, they are very good eating, just a pain to clean with those sharp spines on top, tough skin, and really thick rib cage bones.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

Halibut are terrible...

Compared to rockfish and lingcod...
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Halibut are terrible...

Compared to rockfish and lingcod...
    I will agree with you on that. Rockfish are great.

Quote Originally Posted by wildog View Post
    Black Rockfish?
    Wndshr, are you asking about Black Bass, or just rockfish in general?
    Black bass can be caught in shallower water, often right on the surface if you see the schools of them on the top of the water. A lot of people don't think they have much value, but as people on this thread are indicating, they are very good eating, just a pain to clean with those sharp spines on top, tough skin, and really thick rib cage bones.
    "Black Rockfish" is the actual name of the fish being discussed...it is one of dozens of species of rockfish in AK waters. "Black Bass" is what many people refer to them as, but there are no actual "bass" species in AK. And, yep, I'll agree - great eating.
    "The Gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent in fishing" Assyrian Tablet 2000 B.C.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Brown Bombers

Quote Originally Posted by nickster View Post
    "Black Rockfish" is the actual name of the fish being discussed...it is one of dozens of species of rockfish in AK waters. "Black Bass" is what many people refer to them as, but there are no actual "bass" species in AK. And, yep, I'll agree - great eating.
    Thanks, I didn't know that and I love learning something new. I've always called them black bass and lots of people on this forum call them Black Bass also. Maybe I'll continue and use their nick-name, "brown bombers".
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I caught one with a 42 inch ling cod attached to it once. 2 fish with one hook, and they both went to the deep fryer. MMMMMMM Black Bass!
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

One time my wife pulled up a large ling to the surface. The ling let go (wasn't hooked, just holding on) revealing a rockfish on the hook. As the ling fell away, 2 rockfish came out of its mouth. I won't forget that picture.

Default Cleaning/filleting these things..

Does anyone have a trick or two about cleaning them? Every time I go out the captain doesn't want to keep them because they are a pain to clean as you all have noted as true...

But I have never heard how good they are...so how about some tricks to filleting them out and I will give it a shot this summer!

Thanks!
    When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast