Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My first power boat!

Default My first power boat!

Do to my back and the fact I want to share as much of my outdoor adventures with Tracy and Gunther as I can I am now the proud owner of a 18 1/2 foot pacific mariner runabout. It was manufactured I'm guessing in the 50's or 60's, it has lines and paint similar to a late 50's cadillac and has that eras feel. Currently it has a 1985 evinrude outboard that started on the first try after being stowed all winter. Right now it has some serviceable "Alaska repairs" but it's solid, sea worthy and seemingly dependable. The guy I got it from was the boats second owner and he obviously loved this boat!

Here's my plan, I'd really like to restore/spruce up this boat and give her a new life. I figure I can do the work a little at a time and in a few years have one hot looking smooth running machine. Problem is I can't seem to find much info on what this boat looked like. BYW apparently Pacific Mariner makes very expensive yachts and pleasure craft, I know mine is built like a tank and quite cushy for the time period.

I haven't been around a power boat since I was a kid and it was my Dads baby, also lived up here for years but have only fished salt maybe 6 times I'm going to have some dumb questions here and in the fishing area, for that I apologize ahead of time.

So heres my first dumb question can you recomend any good trips for the family and I, fresh or salt? Never even considered a boat like this guys this all happened in the last 2 days.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Picture?

How can you claim to be the proud new owner and not share pisc with the rest of us so the we can be envious?

Congrats on the new boat! When the lakes thaw out, there are lots of them in the valley that I love to go to. I would test her out on Finger (near your house) and see what she will do before I would tow her all the way down to the ocean just to make sure that everything works, and to get a feel for how it is going to handle. Best of luck and see you on the water.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Do to my back and the fact I want to share as much of my outdoor adventures with Tracy and Gunther as I can I am now the proud owner of a 18 1/2 foot pacific mariner runabout. It was manufactured I'm guessing in the 50's or 60's, it has lines and paint similar to a late 50's cadillac and has that eras feel. Currently it has a 1985 evinrude outboard that started on the first try after being stowed all winter. Right now it has some serviceable "Alaska repairs" but it's solid, sea worthy and seemingly dependable. The guy I got it from was the boats second owner and he obviously loved this boat!

Here's my plan, I'd really like to restore/spruce up this boat and give her a new life. I figure I can do the work a little at a time and in a few years have one hot looking smooth running machine. Problem is I can't seem to find much info on what this boat looked like. BYW apparently Pacific Mariner makes very expensive yachts and pleasure craft, I know mine is built like a tank and quite cushy for the time period.

I haven't been around a power boat since I was a kid and it was my Dads baby, also lived up here for years but have only fished salt maybe 6 times I'm going to have some dumb questions here and in the fishing area, for that I apologize ahead of time.

So heres my first dumb question can you recomend any good trips for the family and I, fresh or salt? Never even considered a boat like this guys this all happened in the last 2 days.

Pics too follow I'm still working on her and want to document my progress. Taking a short break right now then back at it while I have light!

TR we already planed on finger as our shake down cruse, hope too send Tracy and crew over there the day I paint the trailer too.
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Default Boat

Hey Rick, what did you do with your other boat?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Hi Bravo1

Still have both canoes and the white water boat, but this is the first thing I've owned with a motor.

If this works my new project...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    BHA Member

Default Classic

Man that's a real classic style boat. Better fix it up nice we wouldn't want Spice girl to be swimming; WOULD WE ?
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

At the end of the day it looks like this.
    I did a ton of cleaning, removed the "Alaska rigged" canopy and all its hard ware, removed the rigged sides, Chased down 2 electrical shorts and I'm thinking of having a beer and raising the steering wheel about 3 inches! Tracy and I want to really do this one up right, not necessarily restored, but you'll know our boat when you see it! Might take years but it's been a long time since I was this jazzed about a project. So far she's thinking regelcoat purple over white for the exterior and with a purple interior. This boat is about too go through so radical changes.
    BHA Member

Congratulations. I wish you all the fun boating you can stand (a point I have never reached).

Default YEP

If you can build'em fixing one shouldn't be too much different. Just remember the basics; Safety & Fun.
    Put both into the finished product.

At the end of the day it looks like this.
    I did a ton of cleaning, removed the "Alaska rigged" canopy and all its hard ware, removed the rigged sides, Chased down 2 electrical shorts and I'm thinking of having a beer and raising the steering wheel about 3 inches! Tracy and I want to really do this one up right, not necessarily restored, but you'll know our boat when you see it! Might take years but it's been a long time since I was this jazzed about a project. So far she's thinking regelcoat purple over white for the exterior and with a purple interior. This boat is about too go through so radical changes.
    If that is a FORCE motor on the back, then let's all stop and say a prayer for the poor man.....Please tell me it is not....

Don't get used to this dash it's outa here before shake down...I hope......the wheel will be done at least.
    BHA Member

1985? 75 horse evinrude (sport)
    BHA Member

Building a drift boat or a kayak is a totally different world but man do I have some ideas.(time too use that fine arts degree)
    BHA Member

1985? 75 horse evinrude (sport)
    I have had really good luck with Evinrude/Johnson. I have 4 of them. They have been wonderful motors. I hope you find that they are good motors too.

Well Dad swears by them and my friend Big Bill the Bass Boss(Bill Van Kosky) Has been running the same one in lake Superior since the mid 50's...it was about 12 years old when he got it!
    BHA Member

Default True

Building a drift boat or a kayak is a totally different world but man do I have some ideas.(time too use that fine arts degree)
    But in this boat you can forgo building the hull and concentrate on mods that you and the family like.

She is a classy looking boat. Keep the pictures coming. I look forward to seeing the transformation.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Default Hey Rick-

I like your boat!

I'm sure, being the craftsman you are, that it will turn out to be a great looking boat (though I'm a little skeptical of the purple...). I have re-built two boats of the fiberglass genre, and both have been good projects and learning experiences (and yes, the proverbial "hole in the water"). Neither was in as good as shape as yours.

When you build or re-build a boat you form a connection with your boat that a guy who buys a boat off the show room floor will never experience.

May I suggest that you plan stages for your project? Alaska summers are too short, and children grow up too fast, to not use a boat when the weather is good. And for a perfectionist, as I suspect you are, it is tempting to keep going on a work in progress, even on a great week end, rather than get it out and use it to land halibut or salmon. Just a thought.

Congratulations and bon voyage.

P.S. Don't forget that the trailer is almost as important as the boat! Check out the integrity of you framework and pack those bearings ASAP.

Sayak

Thanks buddy you hit the nail on the head with the perfectionist/getting caught up in details thing right on the head! Tracy finally draged me in about 9:30 Thursday night, we had a dinner party and I didn't stop to eat or cook, sure hope I see her naked again some day!

There are a couple of things that need to be done right away but they are cosmetic and shouldn't take long. Tracy and I know we'll be boating in a Bondo special this year and I'm not planning anything bigger than filling a few holes, a good cleaning and that wheel has got to be raised, I can barely get my legs under it and have too sit with it between my knees in order to steer!

Inspected the underside of the trailer but I wont be able to get a really good look till I get the boat off it. The barrings were repacked last fall and I checked to be sure the hubs didn't get warm, it was like grabbing a cold coke can all the way home. I really got to hand it too the gentlemen I bought her from he maintained it well and really loved this boat.....Think I'll send him some pics to.

Ahhh the color issue, this has been the single biggest lightning rod of the boat purchase. Tracy and I like the purple over white, Andy says if it looks too pimp he isn't riding in it and Micheal thinks it should be the original turquoise and white but perhaps the strangest my Mom voted for turquoise over salmon! And she is a professional artist!
    BHA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast