Thread: Taking your gear Kayaking??

Default Taking your gear Kayaking??

Hi guys,

Ill be visiting Anchorage and surrounding from June until August. I will be renting kayaks on a few occasions out of Seward, Whittier and Homer.

I was just curious if any of you ever take your cameras out onto the water like that? I dont trust myself, but being out in on the water like that...I dont know, I would just love to have my camera with me?!

I use a 40D with 2 different lenses. Id probably just use my tokina 28-300. So, its a big loss if I make any mistakes.

When I think of it, Ive never, ever dropped my camera, but Ive never had to hold on to a paddle, then take the camera out of the bag etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I take my gear out in my canoe all the time. Just buy a good waterproof bag and keep everything in it sealed up when your not using it. If your really concerned you can buy an underwater bag housing for your body like an Ewa marine bag. I have one for my body for underwater photography, but I have never felt the need to use it so far for canoeing. The canoe has enabled me to get some pretty good loon shots!

The bag can be very useful after the kayaking though!

US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

Nice pics!

Whats an underwater bag? I never even knew that existed!

Its just a bag, around your camera, that keeps water out??

Quote Originally Posted by sodabiscuit12345 View Post
    Nice pics!

Whats an underwater bag? I never even knew that existed!

Its just a bag, around your camera, that keeps water out??
    Basicall yes.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...r_Housing.html

This is the one that I have but they make numerous bags for different applications. They don't allow full function of every button on the camera, but they are plenty useable and much more affordable than the alternative.
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I have several friends that kayak with expensive cameras all the time. Most of them strap a waterproof Pelican box to the deck in front of them. Personally, I think it would get in the way too much, but they seem to manage just fine. At least one of these friends has installed a permanent deck mount for the box. I know the pictures she takes are great.

Default drybags...

Take a look at this waterproof backpack.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...ack_Gray_.html
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.