Thread: Kayaking Adventure

Default Kayaking Adventure

I want to plan a kayaking trip this summer, maybe a few days in length, just to get somewhere remote, quiet, and try something new. I have a lot of experience in the backcountry of Alaska, just very little experience in a kayak. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks.

Default remember

Those places you treked around in Alaska and said to your self,,, man I wish i had a kayak to go explore that place?
    There are more lakes in alaska than there are people.
    Most of Alaska Rivers are Class one, or class two, so lots of options there.
    I Myself enjoy moving water in kayaks, unless I am in the ocean, or a large lake.
    The Kenai offers a few rivers that can support easy Kayaking.
    the Kenai river and the Kasilof river.
    although not extremely remote. they are good paddles and have fairly flat water, and easy portage around the few fast waters.
    the Canoe trail system is a great place to get away and Using light kayaks is getting more popular in the past few years. i suggest a trip down the Swanson river for an overnight trip,or a long 12 hour paddle in one day.
    or the west entrance to Moose river bridge with seven portages between lakes and then a 8 hour paddle down the moose river,this is a great 3 day trip, or longer if you wish to explore and fish along the way.
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Canoe,
    Thanks, I thought about doing something out of Prince William Sound or Seward, I've been out there (in both areas) quite a bit in a Zodiak and have always seen kayakers and thought that would be a cool way to go.
    If I rented a kayak, what would you recommend for a 2-3 day trip out of Seward, how far could you go? Where would be a cool place to go from a kayak? Left, up into johnstone bay or right? You ever do any fishing on these kayak trips?

Default kayak fishing

I have fished from the Kelp Beds between Homer and Anchor Point, the bays of Kachemak ..but not out of Seward..
    Yes you can go right from seward out of Resurection. The tide is agressive on the way out, and creates a washing machine effect that is very dangerous. Plannning and going with an experienced local is a good idea.
    taking the shuttle service out to some of the bays may be a good idea if the weather is marginal, or if you don't have a partner that is skilled in kayaking that area...
    Millers landing is a good resource. Call sherry and ask her opinion, she hauls tons of Kayakers every season and can really give you some great advice about the seward area.. Now is a good time to visit with her, as she will not be availible during the summer to visit with you... she is a Capt of her shuttle boat, and runs a pretty busy summer business..
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Canoe,
    Thanks for the heads up, I had Seward recommended to me, but was unaware of the "washing machine" effect. What is that? Can you mitigate the risk by staying closer to the shore (the sharp rocky cliffs...)?

Kayaking out of Seward is always great fun - the afternoon chop caused by the day breeze can be a nuisance so I normally paddle early mornings and evenings. There are a lot of different options to choose from: Aialik Bay/Northwestern Fjord/Day Harbor/Bear Glacier and all the shorter trips within Resurrection Bay. If you are looking for a multi-day trip, you may want to research the Day Harbor area - you can be dropped off in one bay and kayak bay to bay and camp out overnight in each bay. You will also not have to share with dozens of other kayakers. If you're worried about the chop you can always stay in the lake areas such as Bear Glacier. Thankfully there are a number of water taxis available in Seward now.